RMweb

Heljan class 60

steve fay

I've been trying to fit an ESU Lokpilot XL to one today.

There is a complex lighting board, with a dip switch to control appropriate headlight functions and to turn tail lights on and off.

Unfortunately it would appear that it has been designed as a common negative circuit.

It would seem that configuring the lighting for DCC, without a major rewiring, is impossible.

I'll be writing to Howes and Heljan for advice, but currently I'm stuck and not prepared to strip out the wiring (yet)

Edited by Trains4U

I've been trying to fit an ESU Lokpilot XL to one today.

There is a complex lighting board, with a dip switch to control appropriate headlight functions and to turn tail lights on and off.

Unfortunately it would appear that it has been designed as a common negative circuit.

It would seem that configuring the lighting for DCC, without a major rewiring, is impossible.

I'll be writing to Howes and Heljan for advice, but currently I'm stuck and not prepared to strip out the wiring (yet)

Hmm, I spend a lot of my time fiddling about with 4mm Hornby locos that have been wired as common negative and it's a major pita. This seems like a completely backwards move by Heljan. Please let us know when you get a response as I am due a pile of these in next week and don't relish the prospect of having to rewire all of them.

Excellent, thanks - I had started swapping the wires around, but didn't know exaclty which ones.

I started with the white wire giving directional lights, and nothing from the black, I finished with the black giving directional lights, and nothing from the white.

I knew there had to be a happy medium there somewhere!

It is, but by swapping various wires around, it can be changed to common positve

In true comic Pantomine fashion, "oh no it isn't!" If the circuit was common negative constructed, the only way to correct it would be to reverse the led polarities by removing then, reversing them, and re-soldering. I know the Heljan wiring is confusing as they use black cable for their positives and red for the negatives, maybe that's why you think they are common negative as all the black cables need to be bundled together?

Edited by blueeighties

Surely, by swapping the cables over (As suggested in the PDF) I am splitting out the negatives on half the LEDs and making it common positive. 

I made the mistake of swapping all the cables over, not half. - I had an idea that was what I had to do, but didn't know which ones to swap.

The 60 has colour coded wiring.

Hi,

Well spotted. I've just noticed that as well.

post-11695-0-04542600-1447874700.jpg

The angle on the bodyside (nearest the camera) should run the other way an copy the other end and not mirror it. I would say that all of them are like that. Oops!!

Regards

Vin

Hi,

I'm going to leave mine as it is too difficult to rectify as the orange paint is quite thick at this point so would have to be taken right back between the lefthand door, grab handle pillar and the grille. Respraying both the orange, whilst getting a paint match on a black undercoat. Then blending the satin black finish as well. This is made even worse on the other side as there is no grille to the right of it.

Which colour nameplate background are you going to use?

Regards

Vin