• RMweb Gold

I was looking into the operation of the old Transfesa terminal at Paddock Wood (I have a soft spot for ferry vans!), and came across this from a working timetable appendix from 1988

http://files.limitofshunt.org.uk/sectional-appendices/br-s/part-6-1985.pdf

"PADDOCK WOOD

The Transfesa Ltd. supervisor is responsible for opening the gates prior to a train
entering the firm's siding and locking them when shunting has been completed.
Authority to enter the shed will be given by the illumination of two white lights fixed at
the entrance to the shed above each siding, operated by the firm's supervisor.
Should either of the white lights be extinguished while shunting is in progress, the
movement must be brought to a stand immediately and must not proceed until the shunter
has reached a clear understanding with the firm's supervisor.
Whilst shunting is taking place in the shed a klaxon horn will sound a warning to those
working in the vicinity."

Does anyone know what form the lights would have taken?  Arranged horizontally, vertically, or diagonally?  And would they have been above the entrance to the warehouse or to one side?

Are there any other examples in existence that I could draw a conclusion from?

Regards

Mal

Mal,

In private sidings you work to the arrangements agreed between the TOC rep and the operator/owner of the sdgs. These are published as 'local instructions' for the observance of traincrew and groundstaff. If the light(s) provided is/are just ordinary 100W bulb(s) in a bulkhead fitting then that is what you work to...the sequence of lights on/off and their meaning would be as written.

The Sectional Appendix for the area would show these instructions if you want to read what was written.

Dave

Thanks - shame someone parked a truck in front of the entrance!  I've done lots of Google searches, but there's very little showing any detail of the building, apart from the ones with it going up in flames!

I wonder if Barrie Swann has anything, as he lives locally? I'm not sure if he's on this Forum; if he isn't, you might reach him via 'Lydd Rail'. 

I remember the fire very well; the smoke was visible from here, about 30 miles away. It was our 22nd wedding anniversary, and we missed our dinner, as my wife's train had to return towards London.

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures - an angle I've never seen!  That's very helpful, thanks.

Zoomed in It does indeed look like there are vertical pairs of lights to the left of the next to the siding number.

From other views and from looking at the remains of the old warehouse from aerial views, it wasn't even clear that there were more than the two sidings running through the centre of the building.   Does anyone know if there was a siding #4, making the building symmetrical?

• RMweb Gold

Enlarging the pictures definitely gives the impression of something to the left of each number.

Edit  - beaten to it.

I remember putting in lights in a few places to assist shunting. They were either bulkheads or a signal with no coloured glass. The instruction basically was "if you can't see the light STOP"

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul - that's just perfect :-)

From reading around the internet I got the feeling that the industrial shunter was a later acquisition (and a failure by all accounts).  Coupled with the timetable appendix, it led me to believe that maybe shunting was originally carried out by BR's locos, and only later switched to the company's own shunter.  It seems that they may have given up on it and by the end just unloaded the wagons outside with forklifts (although looking at that layout, I'm at a loss to understand why the shunter had to be at the warehouse end of the track, and therefore cause the problems mentioned in the photo caption)

Regards

Mal

Cheers Paul - that's just perfect :-)

From reading around the internet I got the feeling that the industrial shunter was a later acquisition (and a failure by all accounts).  Coupled with the timetable appendix, it led me to believe that maybe shunting was originally carried out by BR's locos, and only later switched to the company's own shunter.  It seems that they may have given up on it and by the end just unloaded the wagons outside with forklifts (although looking at that layout, I'm at a loss to understand why the shunter had to be at the warehouse end of the track, and therefore cause the problems mentioned in the photo caption)

Regards

Mal

Given the number of wagons they dealt with, it's most likely they just propelled them in using the train loco, which would barely have needed to enter the shed. The shunter was only acquired when Philipps Whirlpool leased the place from Transfesa; London Carriers were Philipps' distribution arm. It would have stayed on the warehouse end, as it would have had to go on to BR metals (and thus be registered with them) if it were on the other end- all the points are outside the premises. In BR days, I think the traffic was sufficent to merit the presence of an 09 at Paddock Wood; apart from Transfesa, there was a Rowntree's depot, and BR engineering sidings.

I doubt they would have unloaded the wagons in the yard; from experience in a similar operation with Indesit, some of the lifting relied on a fork attachment engaging on a (cardboard) lip on the side of the packing. If the cardboard was wet, it would fail spectacularily, generally when the load was a maximum height; the result was generally four washer-driers written-off, and a very loud bang.

Rowntrees building was Downside closer to the station. See pic below.

attachicon.gifT-947 Paddock Wood 29-11-98.jpg

The building is the light coloured one to the left of the wagon with the single road entry door on the end near the cable drums.

Cheers.

Paul.

A nice shot of that one-off conversion that was sat next to the bay for a while, Paul.

Archived