Starting to research options

Madcaravanner

OK looking at moving into a small end to end narrow gauge layout as a challenge 

Thinking of O,16.5 scale (OR 009)

I know that each railway had their own dimensions as to clearances etc.

I was thinking of something SIMILAR to the old Ashover Light Railway that used to run near me and had a mix of stone traffic and passengers

I had read lots about it and they did plan an interchange with the LMS at Stretton but it was never built 

So that got me thinking of maybe doing the interchange as well 

So do I go for 009 and have cheap RTR OO gauge stock and scratch build the ALR stock 

OR

Do I go the whole hog and go 7mm with o16.5 as the ALR tracks which I know is slightly undersized 

I have never built track but may need to

I do have some OO gauge loco's chassis to scratch build bodies on to so I am starting in November when I return from my vacation

The ALR was a 2' gauge railway so both 0-16.5 and 009 are overscale but kits for the locos, coaches and wagons are available in 009. I think they're also available for 7mm but I model in 009 so I'm not quite sure.

Peco make track for both scales too.

Here's an old photo of my model of one of the coaches, finished in a feelance livery, in 009 made from a Meridian Models kit.

post-6748-0-04899000-1379967877.jpg

Get yourself the Minicraft Models "1872 Vulcan Saddleback" kit. For about 20 quid you get a plastic locomotive and three four-wheel coaches which will work well for On30. The locomotive is a bit long for On30, so I would recommend cutting down the length of the boiler so that the smokebox sits either in between or immediately in front of the side-tanks. It would work quite well as an 0-6-0 tram locomotive in this shorter format. I'm building one in standard gauge as an inside-cylinder 2-4-0.

• RMweb Premium

David Wright (Dovedale Models) has built part of the Ashover in 7mm and I seem to recall that he has used this for some of his magazine articles - I think it was Railway Modeller, but as he now seems to write for all of them I can't be sure !

If you want to go 'freelance' with passenger and stone trains then Phil Traxson (Port Wynnstay Models) has a range of resin kits that would be suitable - including a transporter wagon based on the Leek and Manifold

Transporter and hopper wagon http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/otherng.htm

Coaches http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/freelance.htm

Seeing your location reminds me that there will be a 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn 'Open Day' at Mickleover, Derby in January - I'll post further details when we have the arrangements confirmed and you can come and hopefully meet both David and Phil . . . . . . . . .

Mike

Archived