Detail Drawing of Concrete Provender Store Wanted

gazmanjack

G'day Andy,

Great pics, great information and well done on your efforts which is very much appreciated ! I can tell you that this will keep me busy for a while as I draw up some 4mm scale plans. Out of curiosity, can you remember how many arched columns/roof supports there were internally ? Not that all will be visible inside the model, I'd just thought I would ask as I noted the corner/end arches (6th pics) and in two other pics (one above and the 4th) of another arch column.

One question you may be able to answer.. In post 24, the 1st pic shows the non-door end of the shed and it has one central post (pier) in the middle. Does the door end have a central pier or does it have the piers under each door frame post ? Another words, two piers on that end, excluding the corner piers.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Gary,

The piers are laid out in three rows (ok this one has a brick wall taking up the place of one of the rows) something like this

o   o    o    o   o

o   o    o    o   o

o   o    o    o   o

They are laid out like this as the floor support beams are only half as long as the building is wide (if you see what I mean!)

As for the roof trusses/arches there are three internal ones (they sit on the piers as above) with the uprights inbetween them as just infill joints.

Hope that Helps

Andy G

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice prototype info and nice model.  Some info which would probably have been helpful a few months ago!  

There was a couple of pages on these, including what looks like to be a BR(S) drawing, in an issue of British Railways Illustrated some years back.  Unfortunately no issue details on the pages I kept, except it was pages 46, 47 and a wee bit on page 48.  Would guess a fairly early issue - it's been in my "buildings folder" a while!  (In the magazine under the "Modelling Moment" heading).  

Also, a couple of pages in the April 1995 Railway Modeller.  Couple of prototype pictures, a very small reproduction of a different BR(S) drawing, showing various options in plan and a nice model made from a couple of Ratio kits.

For completeness, the similar LMS asbestos sheet stores were the subject of an article with drawings in the October 1975 Model Railways, under the "LMS Lineside" heading.

• 4 months later...

Lovely model, and thanks for all the data and photos. The Jan. 2003 Toddler has a picture (p.12) of a 12x6-panel modular stores at Driffield, and another 6x6 panel one at Thurso.

There's also a pic (p.11) of a rather nice scatchbuilt model of the earlier semi-standard SR corrugated-iron store, three of which were still extant at Wimborne in the mid 1970s (one extended by a later concrete modular store). Has anyone ever come across any gen on these? The best I can offer is that floor plan  (at Wimborne) of two of the sheds was ca 19' 6" by 45' 6", with a height to the gable of one of these somewhere around 12'.. From photos and now rather hazy memory, the roof height varied between buildings, so there was clearly much less by way of standardization than with the concreter version.

Colin

Archived