Intermountain GE ES44AC

stock_2007

Hi my GE ES44AC loco great loco that it is ( you have to see the detailing to believe it) has one problem. A humming sound coming I believe from the motor? The loco came pre-fitted with a LokPilot V4.0 DCC chip. I've had the same kind of problem with older pre-fitted Atlas locos but never a Intermountain loco.

Any ideas? :help:

FYI I've ran it on DC with no change.

Sorry I should have put this over in DCC questions.

Hi I've ran the loco without the body on and could only hear a very slight hum, so it must be the body is catching? or its just tight. The body is held on by side-clips the same kind as ATLAS use. I'll fiddle about with the clips I may even remove one or two, as long as I remember not to pick it up by the body!!!! :no:

Hi I've ran the loco without the body on and could only hear a very slight hum, so it must be the body is catching? or its just tight. The body is held on by side-clips the same kind as ATLAS use. I'll fiddle about with the clips I may even remove one or two, as long as I remember not to pick it up by the body!!!! :no:

The body could also be magnifying the hum, acting like a sound box. Those clips are a pain in the proverbial. I tend to snip off the horizontal section, just leaving the vertical bit to give a touch of friction, and then rely on the couplers to secure everything in place. I also, always pick up a loco by the fuel tank or, more often, by both the bogies - letting the bogies hang doesn't do the loco any good.

Even with the body not so tight now the hum is sadly still there my next port of call is trying to adjust the chip settings its a LokPilot V4 DCC 21 pin chip. However it was not to good running on DC but I'm running out of ideas :O

No luck with adjusting the chip as I'd need a PhD to understand the on-line manual. I wondered if I could fit some kind of sound deadening material within the body. Any ideas?

I think the GEVOs come with Loksound Selects in them...

Loksound decoders have a pretty aggressive BEMF that often makes motors hum.  It can be turned off or reduced; I put a Loksound Select in a 44 tonner that hummed like mad.  I set CV49 to 18 (default is 19) to turn off the BEMF - the buzzing vanished...locomotive ran dead silent (with sound muted of course).  Set CV49=19 again - buzzing returns.  Aha.  I then adjusted CV56 - I lowered it to 5 (!) from the default of 255 - much quieter, still some slight buzz but only audible with sound muted and no difference in the running quality.

Hi the chip in my loco is a LokPilot (none sound) but changing cv 49 worked the humming sound has gone. I've had to adjust the start up voltage and braking rate (cv2 &cv4) but all seems well.

Thank you. :jester:

Sorry I assumed it had a noisemaker; hooray for Loksound for using the same CVs for motor control on sound and no sound decoders!  Remember if it doesn't run smoothly put CV49=19 again and fiddle with CV56.  I forget the details but in my case leaving CV56=0 made the engine run poorly.

As my layout is end to end to give the loco a good run-out I've had it on my rolling road and as I said up till now its running well...of course you know what's going to happen now :declare:

By the way the loco is a NS heritage unit in Southern livery. For now I have it working on helper service with a Dash 9.

With it having a 21 pin chip maybe later if I can find a sound chip I'll fit one, again thanks for your help.

Archived