Lamp Colours

• RMweb Premium

I have been back through all 10 pages of this section, but to no avail.

I remember reading somewhere on here about lamp colours - what date did they change over from red to white cases?

And clear lenses for front and read lenses for Toads and passenger vehicles at the rear?

Many thanks.

The circular from Collett announcing the change from red to white for the bodies of head & tail lamps was dated 22 December 1936. The change was to be gradual with the current stock to be used up. All new lamps & repaired lamps would be white. During the transition period sheds were to ensure that engines of passenger & auto trains were provided with lamps of one colour (he didn't seem so concerned about goods trains). I'm sure I've seen photos of 'mixed' lamps but I can't find any at the moment (as is the usual case!).

This info comes from British Railways Journal No.1 (October '83) which reproduces the text of the circular.

HTH

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did red cased lamps survive into the 1950-60s? I'm sure I've seen pix in that time frame with red cased lamps.

Alan the only ones I ever saw in the '60s were on preserved locos, I definitely don't remember seeing any in everyday use.  If you consider the 'turnover' in tail lamps in the '70s as being anything like representative of the turnover in headlamps in the two preceding decades I would be surprised if any red headlamps lasted into BR days unless someone had hidden some away in a quiet backwater.

• 4 weeks later...

-- Am I correct in thinking that just as locos. had head-codes to inform the signalmen of their type of train - express passenger, fitted goods etc. etc. - so goods' trains guards' vans also had a tail code that varied according to the type of goods' train?-

- If so, where can I find the necessary info?

- Thanks in advance for any help. -- :-)

• RMweb Gold

-- Am I correct in thinking that just as locos. had head-codes to inform the signalmen of their type of train - express passenger, fitted goods etc. etc. - so goods' trains guards' vans also had a tail code that varied according to the type of goods' train?-

- If so, where can I find the necessary info?

- Thanks in advance for any help. -- :-)

Rule 121 BR 1950 Rule Book  (which is worth getting as it contains loads of information and they should be pretty cheap on Amazon. 

However if you are late 1960s onwards there were changes both in the Rule Book and the General Appendix.

Rule 121 BR 1950 Rule Book  (which is worth getting as it contains loads of information and they should be pretty cheap on Amazon. 

However if you are late 1960s onwards there were changes both in the Rule Book and the General Appendix.

-- Stationmaster,

- Thanks for your prompt reply - appreciated.

- Actually I'm not doing any modelling right now. 

- Living o'seas. my local & railways' hobby/model-shop is  into HO. and 2m/m. scales with American, European and Japanese models, although it is also an agent for PECO. HO./00. gauge type 100 track.  But from what I've seen the natives aren't really into model rlys., such models as there are are more usually of model aeroplanes.

- But were I to return to the fold then it would be the GWR. - of course - say from the late 1920s. to 1939. and possibly either  a small & passing station layout, (similar to  WOODSTOWE but with through lines - as an example),  or less likely a BLT. layout.

• 4 weeks later...

- ... .

-- Answering my own question I've just encountered the flg. web-site wch. might be of some possible assistance to others -

> http://preview.TinyURL.com/k4m6z68 < - > http://britishmodelrailwayclubofmontreal.blogspot.ca < - scroll DOWN to posting of August 5, 2011., by John Kendall, entitled: Lamps on Goods Brake Vans.

- Also appears in the RM Web - Wright writes thread under posting #527. by Brossard.

-- :-)

Archived