Bill Bedford handrail bending jig

just haven't read the instructions (which I no longer have, if indeed there ever were any)

Not mislaid there never were any. Best you get is given in this topic - but that is probably adequate. I have never associated the numbers with anything in particular and usually simply measure between the holes etched on the work piece and replicate that on the bending jig - not even making that measurement in units just using a pair of dividers. I usually find that certain pairs of holes are used more frequently than others and some not at all. As you can see from the photo the holes do wear (perhaps this would have been better produced in harder nickel silver?) or (perhaps I need to buy a new one?)

And that's how I've been 'doing it'

Brian R

Bend the wire to 90 deg using pliers then clamp the wire through the jig using a vice along the jaws and the edge of the jig over the end of the jaws. Use a flat thing to hold the wire into the slot in the jig and then push the wire down using another suitable instrument (finger). This gets the legs of the loop in the same plane.

Plan b: bend 1 as above, use the pliers parallel to the underside of the jig to hold the first leg at 90 deg to the jig. Hold the wire in the slot using one finger and bend the second leg. Without trying this I cannot remember which hand does what in this one but it churns out the staples and loops for sprat and winkle couplings quite quickly.

Archived