MK1 couplers / NEM pockets

br-nse-fan

Hi All

I am considering purchasing one or more of the MK1 sorting van and stowage vans.  I noticed that, along with the new sleeper, Bachmann have corrected the NEM pockets to the correct heights, no longer needing a cranked coupler.

My question is how to close couple the newer coaches to the older ones with the cranked coupler?  With the older (wrong height) coaches, Bachmann supplied the 'hose' coupler that we are all familiar with, and provided a generally acceptable method to obtain close couplers.

Has Bachmann provided an adapter of sorts?  How has anyone on here done this?

Thanks!

Can't comment on the coupler 'pipes' although I do recall they are pliable under a soft heat.

Personally, I use Roco/Hornby 'close couplers'. The 'old' Bachmann Mk1s need the Hornby close couplers with the top of the rear filed down to clear the buffer beam. The newer correct Mk1s need Roco couplers. They work fine together, although the 'droopy' nature of the NEM pockets mean that they will need holding at the correct height during coupling. Once properly engaged, assuming your track is fairly level. I have not experienced any problem at all.

The Roco height-adjustable coupler also works well on Bachmann Mk1's. It is not only the same length as the Hornby version, but also allows the height to be corrected.

Many thanks! 

I've ordered some of the adjustable height couplers for inter-carriage coupling, but am still in need of getting the couplers at the end of the train at the right height.

Is there any such animal that exists that would allow for a NEM Kadee coupler to be added?  I was going to get some of the Keen replacement arms, but various posts indicate that they are not as good as they would appear.

If such a beast exists, it would also (I assume) be suitable for getting loco's (Heljan 58, 33, ect) that have the pockets set to height corrected too?

• RMweb Gold

Is there any such animal that exists that would allow for a NEM Kadee coupler to be added?

In a word, no.

As far as I can make out, the heads of the adjustable Roco couplers conform to what is called NEM 361 (similar to the fittings on Vi-Trains diesels)

The part that plugs into the (NEM 362) pocket on the Bachmann coach is effectively an adaptor between the two standards.

NEM Kadees are all made to NEM 362 - the problem is that only the latest-spec (i.e. the Postal and Sleeper vehicles) Bachmann coaches conform fully to NEM 362.

As for older ones, I've used Roger Keen's replacement links on them since he first introduced them with no real problems (getting on for thirty Bachmann coaches/GUVs so far, plus a number of pre-NEM Hornby Pullmans). You may get the odd one that arrives (or becomes) slightly twisted but dunking it in hot water will soften the material enough to straighten it out (IIRC, that's covered in the instructions).

John

Edited for multiple spelling mistakes - not having a good morning!!!!

Archived