Hornby Class 56 - Erratic Running Problems...

Bought a second hand EWS Hornby Class 56 (Flywheel Drive, Rotating Fans version) at the weekend from a dealer I've had good service from over several years. The model was sold in as new, unrun condition for a good price. It works OK but compared to my other high spec Hornby locos ( 2 x 31's & 2 x 50's) it's running is less than smooth with a dissapointing low speed performance. I've looked at the wheels/pickups which appear to be spotless. I'm using standard 12v DC control (H&M & Gaugemaster) and the directional lights all appear to work as designed.

I seem to recall that there were some issues with the rotating fan units on some models - could the belt drive for the fans from the motor flywheel be affecting performance? Maybe it just needs a good session of running in - if so how long would you recommend?

Any help or advice greatly recieved as always.

... I seem to recall that there were some issues with the rotating fan units on some models - could the belt drive for the fans from the motor flywheel be affecting performance? ...

I was never happy with the loss of smoothness this device conferred at dead slow on what were then brand new class 30s. If the model has been sitting a long time unused the belt may have quite a set in it which won't help at all. It is possible to just unhook the belt and park it out of the way on the 30 and 50 I have looked at, but I haven't seen the class 56 arrangement.  A little insulating tape or blutack can be used to hold the belt clear of the mech if desired. This is a quick and fully reversible process.

But I would expect the greater effect to be grease lubricant unevenly dispersed through the gear train, having hardened up somewhat in storage. The advice already given to let it run at a moderate pace for some time, occasionally reversing direction, is the way to go. It can take a while; I had a 'new old' Bachmann Deltic that needed all day quite recently. It must have stood unused about six years from manufacture, and was growly and lumpy at low speeds, smooth enough when running faster but noisier than usual for this mechanism design. All quiet and smooth after about ten hours steady running.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As with all locos clean wheel sets including wheel backs and picks are a must, plus the rail head too. On the 56 they do need running in, so the usual running at medium speed for an hour or so in each direction beds the mechanicals in. It maybe worth lightly lubricating the bushes within the fan unit.

I had a 56 which wasn't the best runner when bought, but with the above, its now super slow sleeper creeper, with no issues regarding the fans been driven off the flywheel.

Overall the 56 is a superb model and shows what Hornby as capable of.

Edited by richierich

• 6 months later...

Have two poorley 56's at the mo 56013 in BR blue and 56049 in Red Stripe Railfreight. Both were squealing like an angry cat! removed the fan belts made no difference so oiled the driveshaft either side of the motor

and also the worm bearings. 56013 now runs smooth and quiet with the fans forward but wont budge the other direction as if something is binding although the driveshaft's rotate freely by hand.

56049 runs smoother now but is still a little squeaky in the other direction (fans trailing) but at least it works both ways! GRUMBLE

Hi all

I've had both problems with my new style 56s this week. Sometimes the wiper pickups become bent so the folded area contacts the wheel surface. This can be remedied by increasing the fold out of the way.

More common is a squeaky/grating noise from either the drive shafts or the worm drive under the bogie retaining clip. Heavy oiling has reduced the noise but I wonder if some kind of white grease would be better given it is metal to plastic?

Kind regards

johnpeter3

• 1 month later...

I have a 56 as well in EWS livery (56059) which is the high spec version and it isn't the best at slow speed running half the time and the lights don't wake up and change direction half the time or don't work at all. It was £70 after a model company sold me a model claiming to be DCC fitted and a superb runner when it didn't work and wasn't even dcc ready!

My friend has disabled the fan completely on his HST, the difference in running quality is immense!

Maybe a call to Hornby may be in order?

Edited by Swifty11

• RMweb Premium

From my experience, the issue with the fans causing resistance, is because the bearings without the fan unit need light lubrication. 

I recently stripped the fan unit down on a 56 I have, where the fans where jerking. After lightly lubricating the bearings, the fans spin superbly well when driven off the motor, even at a sleep by sleeper crawl.

Another approach I've toyed with it fitting a micro motor to directly drive the fans, controlled off a DCC function. Its in Nigel Burkin's book about detailing modern locos printed around 2009 / 2010.

If anyone wants to offload there 56(s) I'm all ways interested, because you can never have too many 56's.

Edited by richierich

Another approach I've toyed with it fitting a micro motor to directly drive the fans, controlled off a DCC function. Its in Nigel Burkin's book about detailing modern locos printed around 2009 / 2010.

As have I, but am having trouble sourcing a motor small enough.

Was thinking of using the same as for Hornby 58/Pacer. Any other alternatives?

TIA, C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I would like to say a big thank you for creating this thread/topic.

I've recently bought a mint 56 in EWS livery (R2648) The seller did say it's been in storage for while.

When I tried it out for a test run yesterday besides being no where as smooth as my Hornby class 50 or 60. The it needed a bit more juice from my controller.

Not to mention a dreadful squeal & squeaking! I can only assume this is fairly common?

However, after reading the comments/advice on this thread I've got it running as sweet as nut, even with fans engaged. :sungum:  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm also experiencing these problems.

Class 56059, EWS, looks to be new. Runs slow enough but squeals badly after reaching a certain speed.

Fan drive taken off and that has made no difference, so continuing to see what's amiss.

in several of my 56s and 60s I have had to lightly lubricate the bearings to cure the squealing issue.  In every case it has been the front and back bearings on the shaft at the top of the gear tower where the carden shaft drives to.  Squeal goes in a few secs once oiled.  Seems as if Hornby's factory oil dries out... not an issue I've had with other brands at all over a large fleet.

Thanks I'll give it another try.

I thought it was s tight pick up as one was scoring around the wheel but doesn't appear so

Think this model is jinxed - it dropped off the WB when I opened the parcel and knocked an aerial off

How do you get to it ?

I've liked either side of the black thing at the top but looks like a sealed unit

The black bit at the top actually just clips on or off. I took the tops off on my squealing class 56 and oiled inside those bearings, adding a spot to the gears as well while I had the chance. The top clips back on even more easily than it comes off.

No more squealing: now I just have to fix the dodgy lights!

It's like a box lid, with those sort of wings attached too. I levered one of the 'wings' outwards, with a screwdriver very close to the bogie tower, pointing downwards towards the track. This then released the 'lid' so it pops off and upwards.