Dcc horn problem

owentherail

I've a Bachmann sound 47 and SWD fitted Hornby 50, both locos run fine with sound on but when I press for the horn they stutter and lights flicker, when horn over they go back to running sound on as before, this can happen anywhere on layout, track is clean too!!! Any ideas? Thanks Owen.

Try cleaning your pick ups and wheels. if your track is clean or put them on a short peace of track and test them. I had a 31 is so temperamental. All pickups are clean track is clean. If I put the speed up real fast and it stutters it goes like the clappers. I removed the moving fan that help abit.

Yes, wot Paul sed!

I have struck this on two Bachmann class 25s and a Hornby 08 (not all mine!), all cured by the simple expedient of reducing the volume. In every case they were LokSound v4 decoders and volumes were set from new at 192. I reduced them to 90 and all was well.

I suspect that properly sealing the speaker (ie making the enclosure airtight) might enable you to run it at the original volume without cutting out or distorting. It would also improve the resulting level of sound and fidelity no end. Most who try it are astonished by the difference it makes.

Bif

I suspect that properly sealing the speaker (ie making the enclosure airtight) might enable you to run it at the original volume without cutting out or distorting. It would also improve the resulting level of sound and fidelity no end. Most who try it are astonished by the difference it makes.

Bif

Cheers, how do you make it air tight tho?

The other thing to consider is the DCC track voltage, certainly if you are using an NCE Power Cab that only has a 12vDC power supply, then this can happen.  Turning down the sound volume gets around this, but then so does getting a more suitable power supply for the Power Cab.

Regards

Kevin

How and what is a better power supply for NCE power cab !!! Tips please.

The other thing to consider is the DCC track voltage, certainly if you are using an NCE Power Cab that only has a 12vDC power supply, then this can happen.  Turning down the sound volume gets around this, but then so does getting a more suitable power supply for the Power Cab.

Regards

Kevin

Your correct, it is a power cab !!!!!!

I have a 5 amp NCR Power Pro and my friend has a 5 amp Digitrax system: both systems still produced the crackling and stuttering on the locomotives I mentioned in post #4.

I should add that I am using a laptop computer power supply with 15 Volts at 5 amps.

I have a 5 amp NCR Power Pro and my friend has a 5 amp Digitrax system: both systems still produced the crackling and stuttering on the locomotives I mentioned in post #4.

I should add that I am using a laptop computer power supply with 15 Volts at 5 amps.

Thanks, ill have a look at power supply leads with correct ends to fit!!!

The main thing to be careful with is that the PowerCab can only accept up to 15v DC of 3amps or less, I think that the standard US power supply that comes with the PowerCab is around the 1.5amp range.  Certainly the UK spec power supply that comes from NCE is only 12vDC 1.2A and this does cause a problem with some sound decoders along with slower running, some UK dealers put in a more suitable power supply at 15vDC & 1.6A which provides a better track power.

What is the voltage on the track? Certainly with the PowerCab a 15vDC power supply vs a 12vDC makes a difference, it might be that the 15vDC isn't quite enough for the larger systems.

Regards

Kevin

I'll be at The Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon this weekend giving sound demos and clinics at The Great Electric Train Show.

I will be using as usual a standard PowerCab to run 2 sound-fitted Heljan 0 Gauge locos simultaneously. Each loco has two motors which are notoriously conspicuous power consumers. I don't suffer any problems with sound breaking down or poor slow running characteristics.

It's not too much to expect a 00 gauge loco with a locosound decoder to work correctly with one of the most popular DCC controllers, why should the OP need to spend more money to cure a problem that has a simple no-cost option of turning the sound down to a reasonable level. Real Class 08 locos aren't very loud anyway.

Paul

The 15 V AC supply is more than sufficient for the Power Pro system.

Laptop power supplies (of the right voltage and amperage - check this as they do vary) are very good for our sort of applications as they are stabilised and protected from surges. Applications include not just the DCC system but lighting and auxilliary devices too.

I have an easy supply of these as they are discarded from student netbooks and teacher laptops if the output (low voltage) wires or plugs are damaged. I simply cut off the wire just before the damaged parts and connect the remains to a chocolate block terminal connector.

These laptop power supplies are also available cheaply from the likes of eBay.

As Paul says above, the problem lies in the combination of sound project and speaker where the volume is set too high for that combination. It could be that the sound levels were set too high in the original project and cause distortion and overload the tiny little amplifier in the decoder. Turning the volume down is easy and seems to fix the problem. Changing the speaker set up may also fix the problem. I haven't tried this but adding a second 4 ohm speaker in series, or sticking one or two 8 ohm speakers in could also fix the problem.

Archived