'My Content' search limit

• RMweb Gold

How much extra server overhead would be involved if the search limit was extended back to September 2009?

Hi MP,

The alternative is to use Advanced Search (white cog to the right of the search box -- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums ) and enter your own name in the Author field. Most searches are limited to 200 results, but you can set the date span as required.

If you want to find all your posts, you can leave the Find field empty.

Martin.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi MP,

The alternative is to use Advanced Search (white cog to the right of the search box -- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums ) and enter your own name in the Author field. Most searches are limited to 200 results, but you can set the date span as required.

If you want to find all your posts, you can leave the Find field empty.

Martin.

This doesn't seem to work. I set the dates to 01/01/2008 to 25/06/2014, with just my username in the 'Find author' field, and still only get three pages of results.

I've changed that; we'll see how it fares.

Also, the search from period within 'My Content' is still limited. I understand the need to manage server load, but could there be a way to have the limit as a default that a user could turn off as and when required?

Not quite understanding why the server should be overloaded by such a search? Assuming the tables are adequately indexed the increase would be minimal and it is not as though these searches are a frequent occurrence. Seems more like someone has imposed an arbitrary limit for the sake of it.

The previous limit was 1000 days and was set at a time when that covered back to the start of this software/database; I've now amended that to 2000 days. Earlier capping did reduce server loads at a time when one server or another was getting a bit critical.

Archived