Brake van lamps

I'm currently building a model of an LSWR brake van in 2FS. These had permanently fixed side lamps and a lamp iron on each end for the centre lamp. I can either model the lamp irons with no lamp on them, or model them with a lamp mounted on both. Either choice is a compromise as there should only be a lamp at the trailing end of the van. I don't think making the lamps removable is a viable option and my dexterity certainly isn't up to moving the lamp from one end to the other! My inclination is to model the lamps in place - at least there would always be a lamp at the rear end of the van, and the lamp at the other end would (hopefully) be partly concealed by the vehicle coupled in front. What would your choice be?

• RMweb Premium

I went through this thought process recently and ended up with one fixed lamp, mainly because the van in question will be fixed to a 'block' train which will not be shunted. If it is to shunted, you can either put a lamp on either end, knowing that the forward one will not be very visibly when coupled up to a train, or only do one end and, as mentioned above, craftily turn. Do think also about whether the van will spend much time sitting on its own on sidings, and what you would want the lamp configuration to be then.

I fitted DCC concepts working lamps to mine, and it looks great (IMHO...) Post 80 on page 4 of the 'coal empties' link below.

Hope this helps,

G

Archived