Prototyping Boards

Michael Woolford

At the moment, I am not able to access the layout to continue with trackwork. So I thought I would make a start on testing the control circuits that I have designed. To do this, (and eventually the full control system) I will be looking to use some form of prototyping board to mount everything on. I am a little bit stuck on choosing the correct type. Should I go for a single sided board (but then there are a number of track arrangements, all of which makes it even more confusing). Or do I use a plain board and join the components using lengths of wire? This will be my first time using a board like this over a PCB (since it is my own design). Working out where to cut tracks seems like something to go wrong. Any recommendations?

Michael

Nothing wrong with Vero Board.  PCB tracks on the back oriented left-right, link wires on the front (with the components), running top-bottom. Or the opposite. You can down load a 0.1 x 0.1"grid of dots form the internet, or use graph paper. A comfy chair and glass (or two) of poison plus soft pencil and rubber, sorted.

Don't run link wires at angles, you'll confuse yourself

Start in the middle with your largest i.c.

Tick connections off on your schematic as you draw them on the plan.

When you come to build it, check every connection and prove every track-cut with a multimeter as you go, dont leave it all to the end.

I'm sure someone has written software to do this, but unless youve got a lot to do, probably quicker by hand.

I use TinyCAD (free to download) to draw out the circuit diagram and a stripboard layout program called VeeCAD http://veecad.com which has a free version (limited no of components and stripboard size) that you can download. TinyCAD integrates with VeeCAD seemlessly but you can also enter a connection list straight into VeeCAD.

The following pdf attachment shows a simple circuit using VeeCAD, top component layout and bottom showing track cuts.

2012-600 Lighthouse Flasher.pdf

Even if you don't use it hopefully the pictures will give you an idea about 28XX's comments.

Mike

As Crosland says a solderless breadboard is another option if you want to experiment before commiting your circuit to stripboard. Search on Ebay for 'breadboard kit' and look at the one offered by Mallinson Electronics £9.99 with free P&P. Looks very good value for money. Usual disclaimer no connection with them.

Mike

Archived