Blog- Phil's Black Country & South Staffordshire Blog - Sedgeley Jn (EM guage) workbench

RSS Fetcher

This is my workbench blog, setting out my work in creating my Sedgeley Jn layout.

One of my first targets for attention is a Bachmann 56xx Collett 0-6-2 tank. A number of these locos lingered on at the former GW sheds in the West Midlands. My example is BR lined green and was the cheapie DCC set split model of 5658, bought partially on a whim.

I took the loco out of it's "unboxed" packaging, took one look at it and thought "hmmmm - summat wrong with the cab". I then spent a considerable time poring over images of 56xxs to try and establish what was wrong. The cabside cutout is way too shallow and the rainstrip on the cab roof just doesn't look right.

Out with the needle files and attacking the fireman's side cutout I think I have acheived a far more realistic looking cabside look. At this stage I have to admit that I didn't realise the cab roof and front and rear spectacle plates are a seperate detachable moulding, which makes the work much easier - when you know !!!!

I filed the cab cutout upwards, totally through the upper runner of the cab side shutter, then introducd the curve. The problem this leaves is the beading round the cab cutout obviously disappears where you have extended the cutout upwards. Anxious to try and retain the Bachmann factory lining I have carefully tried to file the beading off, but this hasn't really worked. I'll next try to slice the remainder off with a sharp blade.

As I mentioned, the cab roof as moulded, has a very prominent rainstrip at the cab edge which heightens the "thickness" of the cab roof plate. I've filed the rainstrip away, then filed the cab edge down to reduce the thickness. The two photos (very much work in progress) shown what I have done so far.

View the full article

Archived