Platform Models Poole

dinkyme

For all you modellers who live in the Poole, Bournemouth & Christchurch area, Platform Models have now reopen a new shop in the same premises as Model Railway Solutions at Unit 1, 10-12 Alder Hills, Poole, Dorset BH12 4AL, tel 01202 798068. Opening hours Tue - Sat 10am to 5pm, here my tip of the day its in walking distance from Sainsbury store at Wallisdown. Called in today and they already have a good selection of N & OO stock both new and old.

Called in today as I was passing, and was pleasantly surprised. Lovely little shop, quite well stocked considering it's only just opened, great friendly staff happy to have a chat, stock is clearly and competitively priced, and it has a nice welcoming feel.

After around 2 months of not touching Poole Station, half an hour in Platform Models has reignited my modelling mojo. Best of luck to this business, I can highly recommend anyone local paying a visit.

Mark

• Like 1

Good move for Platform Models to move in with MRS, Steve Knight will help to give them a better insight into the hobby, and gives customers a good chance to drool over Horfield.

Hi Paul. fancy meeting you here!

Horfield, wan't that the one you built in the basement of your shop late 1990s.

Regards

Roger Mills

Hi Paul. fancy meeting you here!

Horfield, wan't that the one you built in the basement of your shop late 1990s.

Regards

Roger Mills

Hi Roger,

Shhh, don't tell everyone - it might put them off :sungum:

Seriously  - yes, but when the shop closed the only home that could be found for the layout was too far away for me, and I had to move on because of other commitments, but the guys have made a superb job of it since, and I am now involved with Blandford, see my 'signature'.

I remember that. Motorail books, Horfield in the basement, What a selection of books! WOW! S/H locos and bargains All destroyed by the internet. I must say I am as bad I browse in local shops and then its best price Amazon 

• Like 1

If those running Platform Models are as helpful and friendly as Martin and Steve at Model Railway Solutions, the business should be very successful. You don't have to be local, I live in Basingstoke, and if you want  a morning or afternoon out, the journey to Poole is very worth while. I bought boards and legs from MRS, and the whole transaction (two visits) was first class. MRS also have a huge layout in the back room, ask and I'm sure they will be pleased to show it to you - it will be at the Eastleigh/Southampton show in 2014. Best of luck to the new business.

Big Bill,

There will be long,medium and short platforms. There will be stone faced, brick faced and concrete. Some with subway entrances, some without. Some with tarmac surfaces, some paved. there will be straight, curved (both inner and outer) in a variety of radius. They will come in mainline terminus format down to a country halt. They will offer a unique service, rather like "Pic n Mix" - you go in and tell them what you want, and they create it - they should do very well. Sorry it's November 1st - I thought it was April and that I was on the Hornby Forum. :no:

Big Bill,

There will be long,medium and short platforms. There will be stone faced, brick faced and concrete. Some with subway entrances, some without. Some with tarmac surfaces, some paved. there will be straight, curved (both inner and outer) in a variety of radius. They will come in mainline terminus format down to a country halt. They will offer a unique service, rather like "Pic n Mix" - you go in and tell them what you want, and they create it - they should do very well.

there is a market 00 gauge platform - Modelling Questions, Help and Tips - RMweb

Edited by Main Man

Great shop and the fact they sell stuff BELOW the MRP is a bonus. A very friendly bunch there with tons of knowledge available from Steve and Martin. Coffee and tea is on offer for regular customers. Do pop in. I now buy stuff there instead of using the web based box shifters.

• 1 month later...

OK.  So I am in Weymouth and travelling back home past Poole tomorrow.  How do I find the shop?  I have used Streetview but the address just looks like a single office unit.  Is the shop round the back?

I would be very happy if a response is forthcoming today......otherwise I guess I will have to try and find it myself!

Richard

Platform Models is one of the small businesses that are based in the old Central Glass company building, beside the original Alder Road, now bypassed by a new alignment since the building of the new Sainsburys, and the roundabout serving it. If travelling from Poole, take first left at the roundabout, then first left again, the building is at the top of the hill, the entrance to Platform Models is in the left hand corner of the big glass frontage to the building. Depending on the time of day/week you go, parking could be a problem. If you see Steve at Model Railway Solutions, tell him I will ring him soon. :sungum:  

Edited by bike2steam

Called in yesterday morning on the way to Sainsbury(just down the road and absolutely heaving!), very impressive, excellent service with a smile and highly recommended. Mrs C. wanted a very specific model car to present as a retirement gift to an old teaching colleague and found exactly what she sought- an original Mini in white with a black roof, so she is now equally impressed!

By the way, Paul, very many thanks for the directions, spot on!

• 10 months later...

Platform Models,....  http://www.platformmodelsltd.co.uk/index.php..What can I say ?, ...other than,...Top crew.

If it's not in stock, they can order it. Their 10% off discount* beats many, if not all, of the big shops and the so called 'box-shifters'.

I've been back there, and I'm going back, again.

* P&P does vary tho', according to value of order.

Wishing them and their customers....

....All the very best.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Found Platform Models. It is near More Bus' stop at Alder Crescent on route 16. I had to enter the post code BH12 4AR rather than 4AL to find it on Traveline.

Staff were very friendly and took an interest in my model railway. They have put up a Purbeck Model Railway Group poster in their window.

While I was there they had a delivery from Hornby. One large box only had two items in it so they thought they could have put it in a smaller box.

post-17621-0-66829400-1423815940_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

A really friendly place. Google seems to think its my place of work, spend far to much time in there. If your really nice Keran or Roy may make you a cup of tea and even the dog gets treats. If they haven't got it they will get it for you and you save a fortune on postage.

Support your local model shop.

Long may it last 

• 5 months later...

Agree with above. Just found today whilst on holiday. Decent stock and friendly people. Good range of DCC, electrical, accessories  etc.  just wish we had shops of this type in my area of the country...