Bachmann Woodland scenincs incline pack help

Hi

My latest project is going to be a small 009 gauge layout but want to have a track plan of figure of 8 folded over each other which means I will be able to have an incline, and also like the idea of a railway line going over the low level track. The baseboard for this layout is 4ftx2ft. I was wondering if I can use the woodland scenic incline packs more so the 4% rise pack. Can anyone offer any help before I go and buy anything to start this project? 

Thanks

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I used a WS grade pack some 10 years ago. 4% may get you up to about 3" in the space you have minus the thickness of track and support.

See what is in the pack. I think it is a series of slopes that go up to 1/2" or possibly 1" (mine were 2%). If it is just that you will need some extra bits to go under the higher sections.

It is quite possible to use the WS inclines. I did a folded figure 8 in N-scale on 2'x5' using the 2% inclines. It did mean that there was very little track on the flat to get the clearance for the crossover, but using the 3% or 4% inclines would help there. The 2% inclines take you up 1/2" in 2' (4% will be 1" in 2') and can take just about any curve you want. If your locos can handle a train on a 4% grade on a curve, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for you. Note that there is no transition built into the inclunes, but it is relatively easy to do. You can separate the segments to spread out the incline at the ends. The packs tend to be cheap enough that it is probably worth getting one to play with.

Rather than get the incline set, I'd suggest getting the 4% incline starter set (4 inclines) and a pack of 1" risers (4 lengths). That would allow you to go up 2" and come back down again (incline starter, incline starter on riser on both ends), while the 4% incline set just takes you up 4"

Adrian

Thanks for the help. I wont be running heavy trains so cant see why they wont go up the 4% rise. I am looking to have a bit of a flat as to put a smallish station/halt. So in 009 if im using the 4% risers I should have enough clearance to clear bridges as such?

Thanks

Scott

I'd test the climbing ability of your locos. Put a length of track on a board and raise one end so it rises an inch in two feet and try running the train you intend to run up it. Then try it on a curve, as you are going to need to have part of the climb on a 10-11" curve. Based on the 009 stock I have handy, you are going to need at least a 2" height to make the crossover (and you will have to be careful about the underlay height and the type of bridge), so that is a 4' climb at 4%. That is quite possible in 4' x 2', leaving you with some flat space at both levels.

Here are a couple of photos of my trial piece in its second incarnation. It was originally intended for British N with code 80 track and then re-done for North American N with code 55 track. It uses 2% grades throughout and I cut the inclines lengthwise to make them narrower (but you do end up with lots of little pieces rather than one integrated piece). Pardon the angles and composition, the board is staying out of the way against a wall while layout-building is underway (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77961-somewhere-to-run-trains/). There is basically 2" from the foam to the bottom of the bridge, so about 1/4" less than that from the railhead. The upper area through the road bridge, the points, and the lower area down the back are the only significant flat bits.

post-206-0-42042700-1383001951.jpg

post-206-0-16629000-1383001973.jpg

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

It's a good idea to lay cork as Adrian has done as you won't be able to ballast the track otherwise (it will just fall into the gaps between the foam pieces). Whatever you do will need some sort of roadbed above the foam.

Archived