'Anglia'/'One' mk2 - mk3 transitional lash-ups

Satan's Goldfish

As i slowly start catching up with modern life, i'm finding myself interested in the transitional period of mk2 'Anglia' to mk3 'One' stock on the GEML and the interesting mash of colours this produced like the black and red de-logo'd Virgin 90s on turquoise Anglia push-pull sets.

A while ago i'm fairly sure i saw a picture of an ex-vigin mk3 DVT (before re-painting into 'One' livery) running with a set of Anglia turquoise mk2 carriages, but for the life of me i can't find it anywhere now. I've recently sourced a Virgin DVT to de-logo ready for this service but now having a small panic that it may have all been in my imagination and i'm going to need to start getting some Virgin/One mk3 stock to go with it! Can anyone help point me in the right direction of that photo?

On the opposite side of the coin, there's definately an easy to find picture of an Anglia DBSO leading a set of One mk3s into Ipswich on flickr. Any other good links for colourful Transition liveried services on the GEML out there?

Thanks guys.

I think a few may have been in this state for a little while at least, there's pictures of some with white patches each side of the yellow ends too. (IMHO the lack of Virgin branding improves them ;) ) Now for the elusive Anglia mk2s with it....

I've spent a while searching for Anglia Mk2s but can't find a single image that shows a red thing at the front (or back). Bizarrely I like the Anglia livery and always have. Must get hold of a Class 86 in Anglia colours some day. Pete.

When they launched the One livery there was some doubt about getting approval to use the Mk3 DVTs so they painted a DBSO in one livery just in case so they would have a matching set of DBSO and Mk3s. I suspect that the delay would mean that the DVTs would be in short supply for the Mk3 sets so very rare on the Mk2 sets.

When they launched the One livery there was some doubt about getting approval to use the Mk3 DVTs so they painted a DBSO in one livery just in case so they would have a matching set of DBSO and Mk3s. I suspect that the delay would mean that the DVTs would be in short supply for the Mk3 sets so very rare on the Mk2 sets.

The 'one' DBSO was created by vinyl over the existing paint job (IMHO a complete criminal act as this was the last DBSO in Intercity colours) and as you say was in case approval wasn't received in time for the DVTs. The transition from mk2 to mk3 seems to be quite patchy in places with lots of stock and class 90 issues, and judging from Tim's pictures above nothing can be ruled out while ex-Virgin stock was being re-painted...

I do like the idea of de-branding some Virgin mk3s to mix in with the anglia stock.

DVT had arrived in the post by the time i got home yesterday. A little bit of work required, obviously the big Virgin logos need removing and a little research has found that '82110' is not a vehicle that was transfered over to the GEML so i need to re-number it to a more suitable suspect.

DVT had arrived in the post by the time i got home yesterday. A little bit of work required, obviously the big Virgin logos need removing and a little research has found that '82110' is not a vehicle that was transfered over to the GEML so i need to re-number it to a more suitable suspect.

82112/118 would be suitable as these are GEML DVT's and would make your renumbering process that little bit easier.

Archived