Trying to design a siding/switching layout but i'm no use!

bairdnr

Please help!

I have a board 7x1ft with a 3ft fiddle yard at the back, but I don't really want to run trains longer than a Class 37 and 4 wagons perhaps so it's not an issue or a 2 Car DMU (so about 2 feet then?). My problem is that I can't design something that is long lasting enough really to sustain interest. First I designed a layout with a terminus and sidings (DMU's only really) and that didn't work. So I moved onto lots of sidings and found that I had no real use for them because I was only moving things back and forward and then an excuse for a TMD so I have come to see if anyone can muster something up. May I put down my wish list?

Basically, I want a TMD with some sidings for fuel, ballast, Railfreight vans to sit in. I'm modelling in OO and my period is the 1980's. I also like to shunt and run around (though that's not a big issue).

Wish list

3 sidings

Headshunt (needs to be 2 feet, i think?)

Fuelling point

Wash point (I'm not too fussed if the DMU's can't get through this!)

Loco stabling

I have looked at some great layouts such as Wells Green and Oulton TMD but I can't seem to get anything good down. Ok, I haven't got much space but creative thinking can make the most of it! Any doodles are so much appreciated =)

It doesn't have all your wants, but in MTI#86 (current issue) there is a layout designed to fulfil the 3 x A4 sheets criteria for the Wealden Group competition, deigned by Giles Barnabe - since it is so small you could enlarge/add to the orriginal to fit a bit more in. If you don't have a modelshop that stocks it, PM me for the address - it will cost you GBP3.10 (inc postage) if you are in UK. It has an upper level 2 track station with a lower level goods yard

• 1 year later...

When you say that yuor fiddle siding is 3 feet at the back do you mean that it's a three foot fiddle at the end of the main layout (so making it 10 feet long overall) or actually at the back of the seven foot scenic section.

seven foot by one foot is plenty of space for a layout with considerable operating potential right up to an urban terminus such as Minories. My own current layout (which was at the Wealden show yesterday) is less than five and a half feet long and that kept two of amused for the whole day. It will handle a five wagon train and if I'd had a seven foot length to play with might well have kept to the same basic plan but with more generous siding lengths.

If your fiddle yard needs to be within the seven foot length then you may be looking at some version of the "Piano Line" where the "main line" runs from the fiddle yard into the middle of the run round loop rather than joining onto its end.

I think that for shunting interest three sidings is a good minimum especially if one of them is pointing in the opposite direction to the others.

TMDs are a good way of showing off a number of locos but I've always felt their operating potential to be a bit limited but then I like operating trains. Even though wagonload goods seemed to disappear here long before it did in other countries I think there were still some compact goods yards operating in the beginning of the 1980s

Hows this?

post-8493-0-16819100-1300631308_thumb.gif

2 track 60 cm traverser shown purple, could be 90 if you loose the loco release.

A 2 car DMU arriving on the lower platform should be able to access the sidings at the front for stabling.

The red area is station building

Archived