My N Gauge Layout

Colinagreen

I've always thought that a preserved line is a good idea for a layout as you have the freedom to realistically run any locos (steam & diesel) as you wish and none of the typical nit-pickers or rivet counters can comment "That loco never ran on that particular line etc..." As the line has become a tourist attraction, I hope you have got the tea rooms & souvenir shops as part of the station!

I also like the way you have devised a timetable for the line with the fish & chip and Christmas (Santa) special trains plus the gala weekends all highlighted in coloured boxes just like you would find in a tourist brochure, very authentic!

It's built in lovely N Gauge as well so double points to you for that!

Sam

Maybe.  I guess you could try to restrict yourself only to having locos and coaches that are preserved.  That means in practice, lots of Mk 1 coaching stock for example which are a characteristic of most preserved lines.  Diesels that are privately owned and spend most of their time sitting in a siding.

Similarly, a preserved line doesn't need goods facilities, though it might run a demonstration freight train.  It's likely that the cattle dock would have fallen into disrepair and be buried below undergrowth.  The goods shed might now be a wagon repair shop or something.  The siding meanwhile might be used for storing out of use stock.  CCTs are often used as stores vans.  

Even on the bigger railways (e.g. SVR, WSR), the number of operational engines will rarely exceed about 10, rising slightly with locos coming in for galas.  There's not much point in having a operational engine standing idle; if a railway happens to find itself with the luxury of having excess motive power it will hire out locos to other lines who are short.

And this is where the critical part comes in.  There's enough engines to go round, but the bottleneck in their availability is the time and effort it takes to restore and/or overhaul them.  So each preserved line needs operations to overhaul engines.  And there will be engines that have been taken out of service and awaiting overhaul.  And engines undergoing overhaul, often with their boilers lifted.  You often get random boilers stored outside.  The ratio of in-ticket engines to out-of-ticket engines is often quite low.

My point is that if you want a preserved line, that's great.  And if you want to run anything, that's great.  But there are ways in which this could be made a lot more like the prototype, if the OP chose to do so. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...