Sound options in 'N' gauge

ash39

I recently went from 00 to N gauge, and with the fresh start I figured going DCC would be a good idea, though I haven't yet bought any chips (of the non-potato kind) or a DCC controller.

One of the main reasons for this was sound. I have been really impressed with some of the examples I've seen at exhibitions.

The problem is size. Most 00 models can take a speaker and chip with a bit of fiddling, but a lot of N models need serious reworking and custom parts made to house the speaker. This is costly, I've seen figures of around £200 to fit sound to a Dapol 67! (excluding model!). I'm not saying this is wrong, a LOT of work goes into it and the install looks great, but that's not for me.

As I will have a small layout and I'm not so bothered about the sound 'moving' around the layout, I'm quite taken by the idea of a central speaker either under the baseboard or hidden in a building/fiddle yard. The question is can this be done, and how would you link it to the locomotives you wanted to play sound?

I've seen something called SoundTraxx which looks almost spot on for what I'm after, but they work from a catalogue of sounds and it looks to be mostly American based stuff. I don't know if you could put custom sounds onto this, or if there's a better way that anyone has figured out? 

Any help for a complete newbie appreciated!

There is no easy answer to this. Sound is a very personal affair and hugely subjective.

Before DCC there have been stabs at layout sound using analogue and most fell by the wayside. The one that I have heard was plain awful.

DCC sound chips provide the best current alternative.

Very few N gauge locos are really capable of using DCC sound successfully mainly due to speaker size/performance. The best i have heard have been double headed 66's and 33's with one loco powered and one a de-motored dummy with all the sound components in that.

I believe that there is a computer programme that will run your layout on a fully automated basis and play sound around the layout as well.

All these are costly.

The debate rages on.

In terms of sound and the current market trends and experience, and purely as a considered opinion, the change from OO to N gauge rather restricts your sound options

I think that there will be an increasing amount of "n" gauge sound in the future, for some years a number of continental manufacturers have offered RTR outline models in this gauge.

A number of contributors have commented that the best way - currently - to install DCC sound is to put this into the locomotive. Under baseboard methods are possible, but as a colleague of mine who has tried this in OO has found, it is sometimes difficult to co-ordinate loco movements and sounds.

The £200 for proffessional installs is actually quite good value, considering the tools required for a full install with working lights etc is expensive in the first place. The cost of a sound decoder is generally upwards of £75 anyway.

If you are not worried about the working lights etc, it is possible to fit Sound in most n gauge models steam or diesel by removing lighting/cab details, and hard-wiring a chip, which is not difficult even for a modeller with average skills such as myself - just be careful to use shrink wrap and not cause a short-circuit! It is not always necessary to grind the chassis, it depends on whether you are worried abot cab details etc Some useful installation guides are available on the yoo-choos website.

Some models (e.g grafar 47 or deltic), you can fit a decoder and keep the lights too, by putting the speaker in the fuel tanks.

CT/Locksound and Zimo all produce chips that will fit into "n" gauge models, and some excellent sounds are available.

I recomend that larger sugar-cube speakers produced by Zimo/CT if you can fit them, the sound is surprisingly awesome!

I am just waiting to see (or is that hear?) the first Z gauge sound installation!

Regards,

Paul

Archived