Bachmann Locksound v3.5? I assume

colpatben

I have obtained a Bachmann Class 55 D9015 c.2010, that is labled on the box 'DCC Sound'.

The loco runs fine in DCC and the speed CVs can be set.

However it would appear that the function buttons on my NCE PowerCab do not operate the sounds as per the Bachmann leaflet enclosed with the model (DCC Sound Deltic (E3252-IS004)).

Guard Whistle (F9) can occur randomly on any function button between F6 and F11.

No Notch Up/Dn on F5/F6.

F11 does not affect sound volume.

No cab lights on F8.

And so on!

Whilst I appreciate that a previose owner may have attempted to remap the Function Buttons, worryingly, when I Interrogate CV8 (manufacturers ID) using my PowerCab the decoder returns a  random number.

I also have an NCE Interface and JMRI DecoderPro software which fails to read CV8 at all.

Setting CV8 to 8 will reset the normal CVs as expected.

The Question is, is this a sign of a failure, or is it worth the outlay to send it to SWD for reprogramming?

Thanks Pipparooba

I may try that initially, but is there an easy way to determine which sound is in which sound slot, does SWD/Bachman publish such data or is it a case on laboriously assigning each slot to a specific Function Key?

I still have a problem with the random number that is returned when interrogating CV8 so I am only assuming this is an ESU Loksound decoder as I never get the expected value of 151 which is ESU, NMRA ID

I have obtained a Bachmann Class 55 D9015 c.2010, that is labled on the box 'DCC Sound'.

The loco runs fine in DCC and the speed CVs can be set.

However it would appear that the function buttons on my NCE PowerCab do not operate the sounds as per the Bachmann leaflet enclosed with the model (DCC Sound Deltic (E3252-IS004)).

Guard Whistle (F9) can occur randomly on any function button between F6 and F11.

No Notch Up/Dn on F5/F6.

F11 does not affect sound volume.

No cab lights on F8.

And so on!

Whilst I appreciate that a previose owner may have attempted to remap the Function Buttons, worryingly, when I Interrogate CV8 (manufacturers ID) using my PowerCab the decoder returns a  random number.

I also have an NCE Interface and JMRI DecoderPro software which fails to read CV8 at all.

Setting CV8 to 8 will reset the normal CVs as expected.

The Question is, is this a sign of a failure, or is it worth the outlay to send it to SWD for reprogramming?

One possible reason that the actual sounds/ F keys don't match with the enclosed paperwork, Bachmann fitted Lok 4 sound decoders on some later locos, BUT the enclosed paperwork/ F key list was not updated to suit and still had the Lok V.3.5 info hence the mix-up. To check if the loco has a V4 decoder fitted, check the setting in CV63 (the master volume) if you can manage to set it higher than 64, a V4 decoder is fitted, also check the rear of the speaker: if should be 4 ohm it's a V4  - or if 100ohm it's a V3.5 that's fitted. 

HTH

K

Archived