Trip to Germany

Calnefoxile

Chaps & Chapessess,

On Monday my wife and I are driving out to Paderborn for a week, as my daughter and her husband, both Combat Med Techs, are posted out there, and as usual mum & dad come in useful as drivers to assist driving the stuff that hasn't gone in the removals.

As we are out there for a week I thought I'd try and take the opportunity (SWMBO permitting  wink.gifwink.gif ) to do a bit of continental trainspotting, so I was having a mooch about on Google maps when I came across this http://goo.gl/maps/ttS63 (ignore the title bar, it is definitely in Paderborn) now to me it looks like a wagon works of some sort, but does anyone on here know what it is?? and how I can get close to it to take some piccies.

Also, is there anywhere in Paderborn or within easy reach of Paderborn, that are easy to get to where I can get some good photos??

I'll update everyone with my piccies as I go, if I can.

Cheers

Neal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alas I read this post only now. I live in paderborn and know this yard well, my dog was lost there for a week with us searching for her. If you want pictures I can get some for you as I can walk there from my house. Strangely I was modelling the benteler yard just west of there on SCARM when I was bored on night shift.

• 6 months later...

Right peeps, it is getting close to our next visit to No1 Daughters in Sennelager, we'll be babysitting for a few days as my daughter and her husband jet off to Las Vegas to see Meatloaf.

Anyway, we have a few days of kicking our heels with grand-daughter and so I've been looking for something to do, Sennelager is quite near the Mohne Dam so that is a must visit and apparently my Grand-Daughter loves the place, so that's on the list.

During my mooching about on t'interweb I came across this interesting attraction http://www.schwebebahn.de/ Has anyone been on it?? and if so where's the best place to park in Wuppertal, Vohwinkel or Oberbarmen?? Bearing in mind that we'll have a toddler with us.

Also, is there anywhere else in the Sennelager area worth visiting?? Are there any places of Military interest to see?, apart form the Mohne dam obviously, rumour has it that they've fixed the big hole in it  cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh and when they come back from Vegas, Mrs Calnefoxile and I are off to Berlin for a few days, travelling to Berlin by train in 1st Class, where we're going to do the Touristy bits of Berlin. The last time I went to Berlin, there was a bl00dy great wall through the middle of it, and it was in 'enemy' territory  wink.gifwink.gif

Regards

Neal.

• 1 month later...

Bad Driburg Modellbundesbahn is very close to Paderborn which has in my opinion the best model railway i have ever seen.

I prefer it more over Hamburg. Other railway related location in that area which you can check next time is Ottbergen which is the real location for Driburg's Modellbundesbahn. You would find some nice movies from around 1970 on youtube "Ottbergen 1975" with lot of steam mostly BR 44.

The locoshed in Ottbergen still exists.

Archived