Hornby 31 sounds good but won't move

owentherail

Anyone know what I've done, I got a sound chip for my blue 31 (8 pin) from biff, it sounds great horns n all and all lights work but it don't move, as far as I can see all wires seem ok. I can turn shaft by hand ok, any ideas folks? Ta.

Owen.

Why don't you ask Legomanbiffo?

The chip works fine in other 8 pin locos, the 31 does not run with any chip in but sounds work ok

This means the drive problem is wholly on the 31, as it is independent of the sound decoder which will drive other locos. Not a DCC problem at all.

Put the blanking plug in and try the chassis with DC - 9V PP9 battery if you don't have a DC supply - does the motor run, can you see the driveline turning? If not, then the problem as already suggested above is most likely electrical, a broken connection in the wiring between the socket and motor brush terminals. A further alternative is a fault internal to the motor, anything from a failed brush spring to a detached magnet; relatively unlikely.

If the motor is turning, then the most likely fault is one bogie not getting drive. Since the chassis has equal weight on each bogie, the bogie not getting drive prevents movement; the motionless wheels have equal brake force to the tractive force the turning wheels can exert. A drive shaft disengaged from ether the motor shaft or the worm the likely cause.

Archived