German DCC sound engines

kintbury jon

Evening all,

Up to now I have only ever dealt with DC.  However, after a visit to a swapmeet my son has now got his own DCC set - a Piko DB182 electric and a 218 diesel with a few items of rolling stock. Detailing is basic but it's ideal for him (he's 9).

As some of you may have seen, he sold his FGW HST for a fair amount and this has given him the opportunity to pay for the set as well as have a fair bit left over to expand the stock.

After a bit of searching he has bought a Trix class 185 electric which is chipped from MDR Direct for a very cheap £39.  He is quite keen on trying out a sound engine - I am aware that these can be costly.

I have spotted for sale some Trix class 285 TRAXX engines with sound for around the £100 mark (in Germany) and wondered whether anyone could say whether they are a good buy.  The reference number is 22285 and I found this youtube clip:

It sounds good to me and I appreciate that it doesn't have tail lights but still looks alright to me.

Any thought or suggestions would be welcome as I feel a little out of my comfort zone with DCC!

Whoops, I PMed you in relation to your classified ad before spotting this thread.

The detail level on the 285 will be very similar to the 185, ie some of the handrails moulded on, not the greatest depth to the grills- however, fundamentally good looking and reliable.  It's a good bet for a nine year old.  I'm not sure what chips Märklin/Trix are using, but they have always tended towards ease of use.

I'd personally say it's an absolute bargain, if it's up his street, go for it.

It sounds good to me ... mind you, I have no idea what the real one should sound like! As for the lack of tail lights, most of us are actually wrong in running locomotives with tail lights on while hauling a train! I would go so far as to suggest that the lack of tail lights is a good thing. :)

Well thanks to a link from Taigatrommel, I have ordered the above engine for the very good price of 99.99 Euros.  Whilst looking at what else they had, my hand slipped and bought a Roco class 290 shunter for 60 Euros.   I have a spare chip that can go in it.

Curious thing was when I came to pay.  When typing in my address and selecting the country, the price came down to 83.19 Euros for the TRAXX engine and 50.13 for the Roco 290.  With postage at 10.84, the total has come to about 25 Euros less than I was expecting.  I have paid with Paypal and have had a receipt and acknowledgement of the order but am a little surprised by this.  I have not come across this situation when ordering from across the channel before.

Well thanks to a link from Taigatrommel, I have ordered the above engine for the very good price of 99.99 Euros.  Whilst looking at what else they had, my hand slipped and bought a Roco class 290 shunter for 60 Euros.   I have a spare chip that can go in it.

Curious thing was when I came to pay.  When typing in my address and selecting the country, the price came down to 83.19 Euros for the TRAXX engine and 50.13 for the Roco 290.  With postage at 10.84, the total has come to about 25 Euros less than I was expecting.  I have paid with Paypal and have had a receipt and acknowledgement of the order but am a little surprised by this.  I have not come across this situation when ordering from across the channel before.

If the retailer is in the EU, then it sounds like the retailer has messed up and removed the VAT from your order. I'd guess this is because their software is broken and making incorrect assumptions if the transaction is outside the Euro currency area. Their fault, they shouldn't have done it, they'll owe their local VAT authority some money in due course. You owe nothing.   

- Nigel

Archived