Buildings for Cwmhir

Whilst the weather has prevented me form completing my coach and loco projects my thoughts turned to completing my station buildings. Cwmhir is a fictional ex Rhymney railway terminus somewhere in the South Wales coalfield (The real Cwmhir is in mid-wales but I couldn't resist it as a name, I believe it translates as "long valley"), set in the very early 1930s. GWR control but with a strong pre-grouping influence still apparent.

This is my signal box. A kit-bashed ratio GWR box adapted to look like a McKenzie Holland box. This was strongly influenced by pictures of Bargoed Pits box. The landing and steps are not permanenetly attached, hence the gap under the entrance "porch". It will fit better honestly.

post-9629-0-87116700-1384709305_thumb.jpg

post-9629-0-78319400-1384709325_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested I can add some rather gloomy shots of work in progress.

Partly completed is the station building, again the ratio GWR one but altered to a simple rectangular layout and with a slate roof. This was based on pictures of Rhymney and Bargoed stations.

post-9629-0-76583000-1384709362_thumb.jpg

post-9629-0-59064200-1384709377_thumb.jpg

I think my stone colours are a little too dark but I'm aiming for the look of a gloomy, day when the rain has only just stopped so the stones would be darker with the wet. There will be a canopy on the platform side too.

Hope you like them.

Adrian.

The Ratio kit is in fact modelled on a Mckensie & Holland design but not with the stone built base which was found at various Rhymney 'boxes - definitely looks more 'Rhymney like' with the stone base.

Ah, I thought it looked fairly similar. I just added the porch and the walkway around under the windows. The timber of the cabin doesn't reach as low either and I made the back wall all stone. It probably shouldn't be :scratchhead: but it won't be easily seen on my layout and gave me the rear wall planking to use for the porch :yes: .

Any ideas for how to produce a suitable nameplate?

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I thought it looked fairly similar. I just added the porch and the walkway around under the windows. The timber of the cabin doesn't reach as low either and I made the back wall all stone. It probably shouldn't be :scratchhead: but it won't be easily seen on my layout and gave me the rear wall planking to use for the porch :yes: .

Any ideas for how to produce a suitable nameplate?

Do you want a Rhymney style nameplate or a GW one?  I would think by the early'30s it maight have acquired a GW one but it could still have been Rhymney - which would have been an enamelled finish as far as I understand things (e.g Penyrheol).

The GW one can be arrived at in several ways although someone used to do a kit with suitable frames and letters allowing you to put it together yourself - not sure if that kit is still available as I think it was from Coopercraft (?).

The enamel RR style could probably be made by printing on a computer - although I'm not sure of the colour (possibly white on blue but far from certain) or the typeface and then assembling on thin plasticard using clear Sellotape to add the 'enamel' finish; I used this method for a sign on a warehouse and it works quite well.

The GW one can be arrived at in several ways although someone used to do a kit with suitable frames and letters allowing you to put it together yourself - not sure if that kit is still available as I think it was from Coopercraft (?).

Thanks for those ideas. like you I suspect the Rhymney plates would have been replaced by my period. Coopercraft do list a signalbox nameplate kit so I might give that a try.

• 1 month later...

Some progress on the station over the holiday period. All windows and doors now fitted. I've also got an etch of canopy support brackets to put on the tops of the columns for the canopy. I got them from Mainly Trains, couldn't find many other options.

Here is the station back (this will be the main veiwing side). I think my joint diguising will have to be further helped by the addition of some noticeboards.

post-9629-0-11790800-1388959658_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Archived