Russian railway scene

Just to have a reason to take some of my Russian TT scale equipment out of the boxes, I used to weekend to make up a small temporary photo diorama with a fictitious Russian railway scene.

Joern

10905749284_b6c15d5e70_z.jpgRussian railway scene 1 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

10905636296_2e10bb099f_z.jpgRussian railway scene 2 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

10905591195_eb40bac289_z.jpgRussian railway scene 3 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

10905575455_09f66c8584_z.jpgRussian railway scene 4 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

Great stuff, the backscene is very effective. You should consider a small shunting plank next.

I'd love to. However, I have to consider my limitations in time and space. I already have two operational layouts following a German and a North American prototype. Both layouts are rather small but consume some space. Since I'm interested in two many different prototypes, I never had the intention of building one big layout. Lately, I have mainly concentrated on making dioramas. Some of them were just temporare. So, they consume space on my hard disk but not in my flat.

As a frequent reader of Model Trains International, I sometimes play with the idea of making a layout that can be operated in different national modes by exchanging just a few items. However, it's difficult to find a suitable prototype for this. A possible solution might be a railway scene in a steel mill. Steelmill structures do hardly differ between North America, Germany, and Russia. However, up to now I have not yet a fixed plan, just an idea.

Who is the manufacturer of these models?

The M62 diesel loco is from Roco (i.e., Hornby international). The ЧМЭ2 is an older model from BTTB, the predecessor of Tillig. The goods wagons are from Russian mass market manufacturer Peresvet. The black Wolga sedan is from Herpa, the lorries are from RK-Modelle (sold in Germany, but don't know where they are manufactured). The ТЭ steam loco is a limited edition made by Modellbahnshop Sebnitz based on Tillig's series 52.

Making a TT scale layout of Russian prototype is much easier than American, since a lot of stuff is available. This is due to the fact that TT is the leading scale in Russia with a market share above H0.

Regards,

Jörn

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last weekend, I found the time to set up another photo scene with some of my 5ft gauge equipment.

15513779455_58426621a3_z.jpgRussian industrial scene 2 by Jörn Pachl, on Flickr

The consolidation is a former German series 56, which ran in Russia as series TO. The model of this locomotive, I already made in the 1980s by modifying a series 56 of former East Berlin TT scale manufacturer BTTB. Note the smaller loading gauge of the German designed locomotive compared with the Russian freight wagons. The freight wagons are current models made by Russian manufacturer Peresvet. Like my last photo setting, the scene was created on a computer by blending a model scene with a photo background.

Joern

• 5 months later...

The latest piece in my collection of 5ft gauge TT scale models is a steam powered Russian ПК-6 crane.

16839391576_dd6b1fd3e9_z.jpgRussian steam 1 by Jörn Pachl, on Flickr

The crane was made by a former Ukranian small batch manufacturer that has now moved to Moscow. I couldn't resist to set up a small temporary photo scene showing this crane loading coal into the tender of a ТЭ steam locomotive. The ТЭ is a former German wartime series 52. The steam locomotive partly to be seen on the left hand side, mostly covered by the crane, is the same series TO shown in my previous posting in this thread.

Joern

• 2 weeks later...

I've just created another scene in a similar style. In October 2014, I bought two Russian TT scale (1:120) tank wagons from Berlin vendor TT Club. In one of the following photo sessions on my balcony, I took a photo of a small tabletop setting using these wagons. Afterwards, I somehow forgot about that photo. Recently, I found it on my hard disk, spent some time for the final rendering and added a matching background, for which I combined parts of several industrial photos. The result proves that this photo didn't deserve to be forgotten. The diesel locomotive is a ЧМЭ2 made in the 1980s by East German TT scale manufacturer BTTB. It doesn't meet today's modeling standards but still works for such a photo scene.

Joern

16805299318_104cf9948f_z.jpgThe forgotten tankers by Jörn Pachl, on Flickr

• 5 months later...

In 2015, Russian TT scale manufacturer Peresvet made a limited series of the Russian series Э, which was the most built steam locomotive outside the US. By great luck, I got the chance to buy one of just 80 copies made of this model. After it had arrived, I could hardly wait to set up a small diorama photo scene.

Joern

21470985090_f252ee1ca1_z.jpgRussian steam 2 by Jörn Pachl, auf Flickr

Archived