Converting Bachmann Intermodal Wagons into Freightliner FSA/FTA Flats

Although the FIA wagons are a little too short to represent freightliner flats, they do look strongly similar, so I'd like to use them.

My brief question is: how can this be done?

PS I have a lot of old Hornby flats which I might convert into FGA wagons with S-Kits detailing kits.  Probably mostly for tanktainers.

Thanks.

I think the length difference is circa 5', and to my eye most if not all of it needs to be added outboard of the bogie centres, I think that's the main physical change, and the important one as you need to get a 60' platform for a 40+20 or 20+20+20 loading to look right. (Downside is that means you need to lengthen it at the point it's weakest?)

Lots of details different on top of that, off the top of my head:

Internal buffers

Bogies IIRC

Decks (although you can conveniently lose that under a load)

Conventionally spaced twistlocks instead of the twisty/slidey spigot arrangement

Data panels

If it helps, i've some detail images here:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F

Thanks for replying.

Since FIA wagons were hauled by RFD, I'm not sure they're relevant to the region I'm modelling i.e. Leicester Station.  Am I correct?

If so, that's okay, I'll just be selling the FIA wagons and keeping more of the cheaper Hornby flats, so I get a significant amount of money back on that.  I imagine the Hornby flats are fairly easy to convert.  I know that GBRf sometimes run through Leicester nowadays.

I still have a couple of containers meant for the FIA wagons.  I wonder if they're still suitable for the Freightliner flats.  EDIT:  Nah, they're not.  I'll sell those too.

Archived