Matching Hornby weathered buffers colour

Hi,

Dipping a little toe in the model railway waters after about 40 years; I've been using Train Simulator 2014 and its predecessors for a goodly while and got quite hooked on the West of Scotland lines and the wonderful Black Fives that are available; inspired enough to buy a secondhand factory weathered R2382 Hornby BR liveried Black Five, initially as a 'display queen' until I am able to persuade my wife that the spare room should in fact be the railway room.....

The model is in impressively clean condition with the exception of the faces of the front buffers which each have a worn area, showing black underneath the mud-like colour.

Now, I am never going to be a super-detailer as my eyesight is not as good as it once was, but I would like to repaint the buffer fronts to as close to original as possible - so could anyone suggest a very close match to this colour, maybe from the Humbrol range or similar? I must stress that while the idea of weathering has great appeal as my memories of steam are from the mid- to late sixties when most locos were pretty work-worn, the eyes just ain't up to it, so all I would like to do is replicate the factory finish as close as possible; that is probably the extent of my capabilities!

Thanks in advance for your help folks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Could you possibly post a photo/picture of it? I had a quick search but couldn't find a picture showing the exact part you mean. So have the buffer fronts been weathered by the previous owner or changed from what they are supposed to be from Hornby? If so you could always ring Hornby and order the parts from them?

Archived