Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Metcalf Engine Shed - 4 Road Construction

Compbck

I am considering building a 4-road engine shed, and have been advised that the Metcalf version would be a good option to consider.

Has anyone created 4-four road shed by joining two 2-road kits together side by side and if so what was the final result, any useful feedback would be appreciated before I do any ordering.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi just found this while idly looking through RM web. I built one using four kits. Two side by side just looks too short and wrong. It's not on a layout at the moment as I am bulding a new one. But this will give me the basis to make one out of Scalescenes textures as I don't like the raw card edges of the Metcalf kits. I can post a photo if you like although the smoke vent suffered in a house move.

I confess to being almost a Scalscenes "cheerleader" as I recently returned to the hobby and was amazed at what can be produced with Scalescenes kits, so made many of the models.

See below my 4 road engine shed from the new North Light version. It's a 4 road and double-length version. I agree that neither the Metcalfe nor the Scalescenes would look right as a 4 road but only one "structure" long. In fact, I'm not sure mine wouldn't have benefited form being one more in length. I did do some minor customization as the kit doesn't include a rear wall and I didn't want a run through shed.

post-20244-0-41707400-1403035755_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-02303100-1403035779_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-33505100-1403035765_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-41728700-1403035774_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-81438400-1403035787_thumb.jpg

EDIT for additional comments;

1) The advantage of Scalescenes in this instance is you only buy the "kit" once, and the added cost is paper and ink, rather than having to buy 4 or six "real" kits.

2) I am adding lighting to my shed and will posst a picture once done.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, some nice modelling there. It would look better if it were longer but you might not have space, even just a couple more bays? I am going to use the Scalescenes Gable Roof shed as I want a Midland look. I will have to modify the gable ends so that there are recessed brick panals to match the sides and to make it look even more Midland-like.

Archived