Liverpool and Manchester Railway locomotive, Samson.

wookey

• RMweb Premium

It shows the operation of the pedal very well with a lovely explanation of the linkage, but I can't work out what makes it biased to reverse. In forwards, there is a notch, holding the pedal down. There is another notch which I imagine is to set the eccentrics loose on the axle, but in reverse there is nothing to hold the pedal up.

Haha we must think alike as that question was rattling around my mind too, I can only assume there must be some kind of spring loading, though I would wonder how the gear would respond to an accidental knock into reverse whilst on full flow in the forward direction, I suppose the dogs probably wouldn’t engage above a fairly sedate RPM, but I wouldn’t care to try it! 

Well, a bit more progress made! I’ve always thought I have pretty good eyesight, but I certainly seem to need increasingly bright lighting to see what I’m doing properly !! 

hopefully later in the week I will be able to connect the eccentrics to the rocking shafts and get the second link In the chain functioning. 

18D4DEE2-FBE0-4149-98E3-656B67B84400.jpeg

A586ECED-9EB1-42DE-BF42-AC53F531D124.jpeg

Edited by wookey
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I see you have kept the eccentric rod below the front axle, but they are above the axle in the drawing 504 posted, and I wonder where you will now put the valves.

I also wonder how you will stop the rocking shafts from sliding.

What I wonder most of all, though, is how you have been able to do any of this at all. 4mm seems far too small a scale to work in for this sort of thing. I take my hat off to you.

Hi Jeremy,  yes bit of a compromise that, I looked at going above the axle but the eccentric rods ended up way too high, up behind the buffer beam, so having found a drawing online of another ‘Samson type’ locomotive and by drawing from the arrangement on planet, I’ve ended up with the eccentric rods below the axle and protruding from between the cylinders which seem to be about right, as per planet anyway,  I’ve also had to compromise a bit with regard to the placement of the mounting brackets/bearings for the rocking shaft due to lack of space but am general satisfied with the overall appearance.

Thankyou for the praise, very kind of you to say so, I must admit it’s probably at the limit of my patience, I had a hell of a time trying to slit the cranks on the rocking shaft, and not soldering everything up solid when putting it all together! but I did get it pretty much working in the end, albeit with some temporary pins connecting the eccentric rods.

• Like 1

Quick update on the latest progress, getting somewhere now!  

All going more or less to plan so far, had a couple of mis-steps making the various cranks for the rocking shaft, drilling holes too close to the edge and breaking through etc, but otherwise with some luck and no small amount of cursing, the mechanism seems reasonably free so far! 

Slidebars and connecting rods next, which will be satisfying to finish, that will conclude the moving parts and I can get back to detailing. 

AAB6568E-F210-4C4D-9598-71388C2ED6E0.jpeg

68BB6353-32AD-4FDC-B737-A9B218B32041.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...