Gaugemaster dcc23 decoder

DAVE1562

Hi all....just fitted a gaugemaster dcc23 decoder into a Dapol 57xx pannier (N Gauge)...runs fine forward and back and accepts programming, i have noticed that when speed is reduced using single steps... at 0 it still creeps, it is as though it cant find a stop/0 input, when i press the fast dec at 0 it stops. fast inc/fast dec starts/stops it ok. ...i have tried cv programming  of start voltage,pwm frq, kick rate and depth, even momentum settings...can the decoder be reset to zero(how) or has anyone got any other ideas?

I am using an NCE Powercab...

Dave

If it stops on fast speed reduction but not on slow then it would appear to be a controller issue rather than a decoder issue.

The fact that in some cases it does stop indicates the decoder is able to receive a 'zero speed' packet and act on it tells me it is fine - do you have issues with any other decoders and have you used DCC23's before?

If it stops on fast speed reduction but not on slow then it would appear to be a controller issue rather than a decoder issue.

The fact that in some cases it does stop indicates the decoder is able to receive a 'zero speed' packet and act on it tells me it is fine - do you have issues with any other decoders and have you used DCC23's before?

Hi Karl....this is the only one bought this weekend for the 57xx......all my other locos have a lenz silver(peco collett) and ct elektronics dcx76z (Dapol 45xx &14xx) these are all fine.

Hi Karl....this is the only one bought this weekend for the 57xx......all my other locos have a lenz silver(peco collett) and ct elektronics dcx76z (Dapol 45xx &14xx) these are all fine.

That's the issue,  you are spoilt by the experience of the other decoders.     CT, by far the best motor control in small motors (N, etc).  Zimo also good, though not quite up to CT control standards in small motors.  Lenz, presentable control, but not as good as CT with small motors.   Others are not as good on small motors.

(what works well in OO is no guarantee of good performance with smaller motors ).

I've had the same problem, I use an NCE power pro, the problem is with the decoders, or rather the gaugemaster dcc23/ digitrax DZ125 decoders (they are the same decoder) other digitrax decoders seem not to have this problem. If cv4 set above zero the decoder will not see the stop packet until the train has slowed to speed step zero, then you need to issue another stop command. the work around is to set the number of stop packets on the command station to zero, at zero the command station will then continue to issue stop packets (default on nce is eight)  for each loco until you power off the command station. this is not usually a problem unless you have a really large number of locos. You could try raising the amount of stop packets broadcast until the problem stops but that will vary due to the amount  set on cv4.

Best thing is probably to avoid those decoders as they are not very good anyway. I still have 4 of them but they are now fitted to locos that get little to no use and one turns then lights on and off in a DMU trailer.

Zimo, CT and possibly ESU? are worth the extra money, I would have said lenz mini silver but I just had one give up on me. TCS in my opinion are rubbish (at least the 6 pin ones are), the 2 I have are now in DMU trailers.

Don

Unwaranted comment to say TCS are rubbish!

I have thirty locos fitted with TCS decoders and they have performed impecably. Had a problem with one but that was my fault and true to their word TCS replaced it without quible.

I've had the same problem, I use an NCE power pro, the problem is with the decoders, or rather the gaugemaster dcc23/ digitrax DZ125 decoders (they are the same decoder) other digitrax decoders seem not to have this problem. If cv4 set above zero the decoder will not see the stop packet until the train has slowed to speed step zero, then you need to issue another stop command. the work around is to set the number of stop packets on the command station to zero, at zero the command station will then continue to issue stop packets (default on nce is 8)  for each loco until you power off the command station. this is not usually a problem unless you have a really large number of locos. You could try raising the amount of stop packets broadcast until the problem stops but that will vary due to the amount  set on cv4.

Best thing is probably to avoid those decoders as they are not very good anyway. I still have 4 of them but they are now fitted to locos that get little to no use and one turns then lights on and off in a DMU trailer.

Zimo, CT and possibly ESU? are worth the extra money, I would have said lenz mini silver but I just had one give up on me. TCS in my opinion are rubbish (at least the 6 pin ones are), the 2 I have are now in DMU trailers.

Don

Hi Don...thanks for this info...tried 0 stop packets and it fixed the problem  :good: ..should have gone with a dcx75dn in the first place rather than save some money!! 

Probably shouldn't have said TCS are Rubbish, but I did say in my opinion.

I did only buy 2 EUN651s and found them unusable due to poor motor control (erratic running and runaways) when I inquired to TCS about the problem they told me to "buy a better quality command system". It was after this experience that I formed my opinion about TCS.

Anyway I am glad you and a lot of other users have good success with them, I was probably unlucky.

Don

Unwaranted comment to say TCS are rubbish!

I have thirty locos fitted with TCS decoders and they have performed impecably. Had a problem with one but that was my fault and true to their word TCS replaced it without quible.

You are right........they are not rubbish.  But I dont like them.

Once upon a time had over 6, all now failed........including two replacements sent from the US.

If you start to really ask a lot of these decoders I think they begin to show weaknesses.

I like to have really slow acceleration i.e. very large value in CV3.....so that when speed steps set to max, the loco accelerates away extremely slowly, while I get on and control another loco.  The decoders appear not to like these sort of settings.

Also, I have gradients, not steep, 1 in 80, but downhill the locos gain speed, from a scale 40 to 60 mph....so unrealistic on downhill curved stretches.

Eventually they fail in such a way, that the loco sets off at full speed, never to recover............and because this has happened under these settings, 6 times or more, I have finished using the damn things.

I expect they work fine in certain circumstances....but I also found that there were large speed jumps between a few of the speed steps...this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, and sudden jumps in the speed graph have been found by those reading the values on computer.

So, maybe not rubbish, but for certain people and ways of operation, they fall short of some other better decoders.

I run a Lenz operating system....regarded as a pretty good robust system....so the problems probably not attributable to that.

I did have a lot of emails and discussion with TCS in the states on this issue 2 to 3 years ago....I think they gave up and sent me more replacement decoders, but all showed the same problem......so I gave up with them.

All that said...............some people seem to work fine with them.........I couldnt.

Bob

Like Bob I too went through a phase of fitting TCS decoders - I think it was Bromsgrove models were doing bulk sets at extremely attractive prices.

Also like Bob mine are now all gone - some sold on in loco's I have cleared from my collection and several met a sad demise allied to the infamous magic white smoke :(

My non-sound loco's are almost exclusively Lenz fitted in some form or other as I have played with them long enough to know what to tweak for my needs and I love the control they offer me - other members may have other views and their own preferred decoders.

Archived