Another question that arose during my (strictly work-related) wanderings around the rail network last week..

What is the gradient profile of Brentwood Bank? I came down it in a Class 321 on my way home from Southend and we seemed to be going at a hell of a clip! Certainly too fast to read the gradient markers - of which there seem to be quite a few, so I assume that there are several changes along the length of the bank.

I very rarely travel up the bank, because I tend to travel to Southend via the LT&S route, but every time I've come down it seems to be a pretty rapid ride.

Jim

Another question that arose during my (strictly work-related) wanderings around the rail network last week..

What is the gradient profile of Brentwood Bank? I came down it in a Class 321 on my way home from Southend and we seemed to be going at a hell of a clip! Certainly too fast to read the gradient markers - of which there seem to be quite a few, so I assume that there are several changes along the length of the bank.

I very rarely travel up the bank, because I tend to travel to Southend via the LT&S route, but every time I've come down it seems to be a pretty rapid ride.

Jim

From the country end of Harold Wood Station (15MP) the gradient rises all the way to the 19 3/4 MP just before Shenfield Station (20m 16ch). The steepest section is 1: 80 the country side of Brentwood Station. Approx 3 miles are at 1 : 100 or steeper.

Paul

An early report of an accident that occurred in 1868 gave a gradient of 1 in 99 (http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=3949).

The line was relaid when widened from two to four tracks and the gradient profile changed slightly. The three miles of Brentwood Bank are the culmination of a rising grade that begins after a level stretch at Harold Wood, gradually steepening to 1 in 103 before Brentwood and then 1 in 85 beyond the station, easing to 1 in 155 towards the summit.  A gradient profile appears in this article by CJ Allen, writing in Meccano Magazine in 1937: http://www.darstaed.com/images/famoustrains6.pdf

I don't know whether these figures correspond to the current gradient markers, but a video on Youtube quotes the same numbers.

Archived