Southern Infrastructure 1922 - 1934

phil gollin

Just a quick word about this book which was released recently by Noodle Books.

I's not "exciting", but it is fascinating a a set of pretty good photographs from the period concerned.

Many photos of stations and trackwork which should give rise to some ideas for making layouts of the period look more convincing.

Whist not covering "my" period I found it fascinating to see how areas had changed.  ( If I was starting again I might look at this book and choose the "Southern" era and try an N gauge layout. )

Well worth looking at.

( The usual disclaimer - I am not concerned with the book, author or publisher in any way other than being a regular buyer (!) )

I's not "exciting"

It is when you find a picture of your local station that you never thought you would see!  Moreton with the line off to the sand pits vanishing behind the down platform, I'd given up hope of finding any pre-war photos.  Rest of the book is rather good too.

Geoff

I keep watching Noodlebooks for their extensive coverage of Southern subjects. Every issue of the quarterly Southern Way is of interest.

After ordering Southern Infrastructure, I noticed The Railways of Beckenham and had to order that too.  My family lived in Penge from the late 19th century until my last aunt died in 1994 so the topic (and 4SUBS) is of great interest to me.  None of the family in the UK live in London proper anymore.

Archived