Express Models 4 function Class 20 headcode lights

Baggie

Hi there

I'm just fitting the Express Models Headcode light kits to my class 20's, and the wires are colour coded for a Bachmann 4 function decoder chip.

Unfortanatly, I don't have any of these, and they are no longer available to buy.

Has anyone else fitted this kit recently? Can I get away with a 2 or 3 function chip, and how? Or does anyone know of a secert supply of 4 function chips?I know Hornby make them, but the wires I think are different colours, and I have little idea about these things!!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Jon

If you want independent control of lights, you need one function per independent light. If willing to pair up lights then you can use fewer (eg. many RTR locos have the front white and rear red paired together, thus work with two functions).

DCC wiring for lighting is not complex.

There is a common supply positive which is shared by all lights; this is the blue wire from a chip (or can be either of the track feeds (black/red) for half-wave supply).

There is a separate wire for each function output negative.

Decent DCC chips let you change the function mapping to allocate any combination of outputs to any keys on your handset.

There are lots of four and six function chips available from various makers; mid-budget choice is probably something from TCS.

Archived