LBSC corpse van

PeterR

Hi,

David Geen as many of you will know took over the etches of Micro Rail, from Alan Gibson. They are  multiple vehicles on each sheet, and one sheet has the LNWR passenger full brake, and the LBSC corpse van.

The LNWR passenger full brake sells a lot the corpse van less so to say the least, can anyone tell me what it is like please?

I am told that it has ventilated sides, and looking through P J Newbury's book there is a mention of the modified (vents only in the doors, so possibly wrong, they would look like the 'luggage' vans)  vans - could that be it at all?  There is no mention specifically of a corpse van: other railways also had them as it would have been a vehicle, though very specialized indeed, was needed for its purpose.

I could possibly find a use for one (with a saloon (as sold by Peter Binstead who has an Invalid saloon, and the Billington Clerestory saloon) etc) thus the interest in such a vehicle?  

Yours Peter Bunce 

To the best of my knowledge the LBSC only had two corpse vans, and I don't think Microrail ever produced an etching called that.  The only LBSC kits that they made were the 6 wheel full third coach and the 6 wheel Grand Vitesse van, and I am pretty sure that the latter is the vehicle that has somehow acquired this morbid name.  As far as I am aware the etchings are pretty accurate, with etched louvres on the sides.  You may be confusing things with the the PeterK / Kemilway 4 wheel meat van etching which I believe was prepared from a Newbury drawing which had misinterpreted some later modifications shown on the LBSC drawings and ended up with louvres etc in the wrong place. 

According to Mike Cruttenden of the Brighton Circle the corpse vans were similar to the plain luggage vans which had no louvres or windows or toplights, but the double doors were in a slightly different position.  The type of luggage van that most closely resembles the corpse vans is produced by Branchlines and if you really wanted to, you could always pass one of these off as a corpse van, as few people would be able to tell the difference, but as the Brighton was not very fond of labelling its vehicles there might not be any distinguishing marks to show for your subterfuge.

Hi Nick

Thank you for the reply - I had some suspicions about it.

I will contact David Geen and find out more about it and if required give him the correct name of them - he should sell more then perhaps.

I have a drawing of the G V vans.

Yours Peter

Archived