canpac35005

hi everybody! im chris and new to this site :bye:  :bye:  :bye:  :bye: I was wondering if anyone out there can help me? here's the situation.... after moving in with my fiancée she said I can have complete control of the spare room to "play trains" and because of this the project in my parents attic wont fit in the new railway room!
so like many of us out there im starting a new plan, and here's where I need help can anyone help me with coming up with a track plan? I have a space 12' by 8'

ive searched the internet, c.j.freezer books and doodled and doodled can anyone help?

im looking to create a double track southern railway terminus station with at least 4 platforms including a bay, some goods facilities (van, milk, parcels and cattle traffic) engine shed with turntable,

any help would be greatfully received il even start a progress thread when ive got a plan!

im sort of thinking something like Southampton terminus but freelance

cheers chirs

Alternatively, go onto www.old-maps.co.uk and have a look at the 1920-1960 protoype in 1:2500 historical format. This scale usually gives a good idea of siding/platform/building locations and actual point layout. A compressed version Bognor Regis is a possible - close enough to London to be on the 3rd rail from a relatively early stage but still very much a country town terminus station. Alternatively, Eridge looks at first glance like a terminus but is actually 'through'. Doesn't have an engine shed, but does/did have junctions close to it, so branch and main stock both viable. Having an 11' x 9' room, I had similar issues here. Possibly obvious but I failed initially on the following so will repeat - try not to fill it with track and make sure there's a good space for a workbench. Had to rip out and start again!

Al

Alternatively, go onto www.old-maps.co.uk and have a look at the 1920-1960 protoype in 1:2500 historical format. This scale usually gives a good idea of siding/platform/building locations and actual point layout. A compressed version Bognor Regis is a possible - close enough to London to be on the 3rd rail from a relatively early stage but still very much a country town terminus station. Alternatively, Eridge looks at first glance like a terminus but is actually 'through'. Doesn't have an engine shed, but does/did have junctions close to it, so branch and main stock both viable. Having an 11' x 9' room, I had similar issues here. Possibly obvious but I failed initially on the following so will repeat - try not to fill it with track and make sure there's a good space for a workbench. Had to rip out and start again!

Al

Al

Hi Chris,

You could look at Bognor Regis or Littlehampton,both fit your criteria and played host to electrics and steam but I would look at Reading Southern which closed in 1965.Electrics from Waterloo and a variety of steam services on the old South Eastern line from Redhill. It had a reasonable sized loco shed ,goods yard and exchange traffic with the Great Western.lots of potential there I think.

David

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with all the suggestions here including your own one of Southampton Terminus. But all will need a lot of compression to fit into that sort of space.

You mention Southern but don't say what sort of trains you are looking to run. If not mainline, we could probably add the likes of Exmouth.

Bournemouth West is another decent candidate with the added interest of trains coming from the S&D. You might need a bit of Rule 1 there though as not much goods traffic.

Portsmouth & Southsea might also be possible, terminus and through platforms.

I would agree with all the suggestions here including your own one of Southampton Terminus. But all will need a lot of compression to fit into that sort of space.

You mention Southern but don't say what sort of trains you are looking to run. If not mainline, we could probably add the likes of Exmouth.

Bournemouth West is another decent candidate with the added interest of trains coming from the S&D. You might need a bit of Rule 1 there though as not much goods traffic.

Portsmouth & Southsea might also be possible, terminus and through platforms.

well im thinking, anything southern related, maybe 5 coach max. my idea is to have a track plan that is prototype inspired but could be anywhere on sr metals. I only mentioned Southampton terminus as inspiration and its the only terminus I know of in the areas I grew up,

• RMweb Premium

To save a layout image from Anyrail: click the File tab at the top left of the screen, then Export as>Picture>OK. Enter a file name and change Save as type to GIF... then click Save.

In RMweb, if you can't see Attach Files below the reply window click "More reply options" at the bottom right to see the full editor.

• RMweb Gold

well im thinking, anything southern related, maybe 5 coach max. my idea is to have a track plan that is prototype inspired but could be anywhere on sr metals. I only mentioned Southampton terminus as inspiration and its the only terminus I know of in the areas I grew up,

I'm not quite sure if we have the date you are looking at. And what about electrification?

• RMweb Gold

ok heres what ive got so far, trying to fit in a goods yard, mpd with turn table any suggestions?

the grey lines done wit paint represent the platforms for space I was thinking a high level station building.

That's looking quite hopeful. The door is in a position which allows plenty of possibilities.

Is a lifting flap or duckunder across the doorway out of the question? In that sort of space, you could have a perfectly good terminus (Cannon Street?) at an upper level with a continuous run and reverse loop at lower level to greatly increase the operating potential. Most of the goods traffic would probably stay on the lower level.

That's looking quite hopeful. The door is in a position which allows plenty of possibilities.

Is a lifting flap or duckunder across the doorway out of the question? In that sort of space, you could have a perfectly good terminus (Cannon Street?) at an upper level with a continuous run and reverse loop at lower level to greatly increase the operating potential. Most of the goods traffic would probably stay on the lower level.

a flap isn't out of the question, but I was thinking to start of with a terminal then possibly progress onto a continuous run, in terms of time frame my idea is 1956-1967 a big gap I know but heres the genius bit, im going to duplicate all of the railway buildings and have them painted to match different eras including the turntable well to look over grown and unused thus allowing me to "time travel" or operate a modern mainline terminus connected to a preserved railway, this all probably sounds quite ambitious but I enjoy the plastic kit building and ever since I can remember ive always loved the sight of the 125's in intercity livery. also this isn't going to be a short build project but im hoping I can build it in sections so as to have little pieces up and running so I don't get bored building the whole layout in one go and fall into that trap of starting it all over again. I hope this all makes some sense 3rd rail is something I will consider in the future but for the moment im happy to "imagine" its there

• RMweb Gold

a flap isn't out of the question, but I was thinking to start of with a terminal then possibly progress onto a continuous run, in terms of time frame my idea is 1956-1967 a big gap I know but heres the genius bit, im going to duplicate all of the railway buildings and have them painted to match different eras including the turntable well to look over grown and unused thus allowing me to "time travel" or operate a modern mainline terminus connected to a preserved railway, this all probably sounds quite ambitious but I enjoy the plastic kit building and ever since I can remember ive always loved the sight of the 125's in intercity livery. also this isn't going to be a short build project but im hoping I can build it in sections so as to have little pieces up and running so I don't get bored building the whole layout in one go and fall into that trap of starting it all over again. I hope this all makes some sense 3rd rail is something I will consider in the future but for the moment im happy to "imagine" its there

That all makes good sense.

So, an electrified part of the Southern Region but still with the possibility of steam (earlier period) and inter-regional diesel (later period). We could add Eastbourne to previous suggestions. No great harm in pretending that 3rd rail reached Southampton earlier than it did in reality.

My only query would be putting in the continuous run later rather than first as some of it is likely to be below the terminus unless you go for something like Portsmouth & Southsea.

Archived