esu switch pilot problems witb elink

freddy21b

Hello all,

I am new to this site.

I have got a Hornby elink system for my layout and have brought some esu switch pilot. Have programmed ok using elink but when I go to switch one over it works but then tells me that I have a short. Am I doing something wrong. Your help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Freddy

Are you POWERING the Switch Pilot from the E-link? - and what type of point motor are you controlling?

The e-link on its own, without  a 'booster' only has a modest current output - intended to run  a few trains ....  The best way of powering the SwitchPilot is from a separate 16V AC supply as is typically available from a traditional model railway transformer - 16V ac 3Amp output if using Peco Point motors.

[yes, the ESU SwitchPilot CAN be powered from the TRACK dcc, [or even dc], BUT this will take ALL the required operating current from the track/controller when a point is changed .... and with some types of point motor, this can be quite high.   In 'analogue' layouts, this is usually avoided by keeping the power/wiring separate for points and track ... and in the same way, POWERING the SwitchPilot from the separate 16V ac supply,  whilst CONTROLLING it from DCC, is the best route forward.

If, on the other hand, you were using low-current consuming Roco or Fleishmann point motors [ low current and inbuilt end-off switches] , only a 1 Amp supply would be needed, and the E-link might even keep trains running at the same time.

Why does the Hornby (Original) Point decoder work without problem? - because IT is one of the 'CDU' (Capacitor Discharge Unit' type --- and builds up its charge INTERNALLY on a large capacitor BETWEEN operating points .... hence it can take its low-current draw from the track, and uses just the dcc connection.

This does have disadvantages when tying to programme it though ! .... as the time to initially charge the capacitor  gets in the way of the programming sequence, and a 'work-around' of 'pre-charging' it just before programming is needed.

• 6 months later...

Archived