Heljan Class 33

kipford

• RMweb Gold

SWSBO very kindly (I was totally in the dark) bought me a sound chip for my Heljan 33. Now the 33 is currently chipped with a bog standard Bachman chip (553)m, it runs fine but the rear lights have never worked on it. I understand this problem is a potential killer on sound decoders, does anyone out there have a fix (do I disconnect the lights etc) for the lighting systems?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure the rear lights are not working? They are normally VERY dim on the Heljan 33s. Have a look in a darkened room - even then they should be dim. The fact that they aren't affecting the Bachmann decoder suggests that there is nothing amiss.

If in doubt, you could disconnect the tail lights as they weren't really used on the real 33s anyway.

• RMweb Gold

SRman thanks for the prompt Antipodean reply (was it turkey in the webber on the beach yesterday?. I will try your suggestion later tonight, we have to go and take my father out for lunch now.

• RMweb Gold

Heljan score the worst for lights, they are near useless, as srman said they are likely working you just cant see them, ive removed all the lights from my class 26 (which have a similar problem) but unless theres a short (and being heljans use incandescent bulbs, so it would have burned your existing decoder out now) theres nothing to worry about.

• RMweb Premium

SWSBO very kindly (I was totally in the dark) bought me a sound chip for my Heljan 33. Now the 33 is currently chipped with a bog standard Bachman chip (553)m, it runs fine but the rear lights have never worked on it. I understand this problem is a potential killer on sound decoders, does anyone out there have a fix (do I disconnect the lights etc) for the lighting systems?

Thanks in advance

Hi Dave,

What sound chip have you been given? I'll be interested to hear how it sounds if you an post something onto here. There have been comments about my Castle not quite sounding right, although I'm very pleased with it.

I too doubt the lamps will be an issue. If they are an issue to you, you could always change them for LED

Regards,

Charlie front lights work rears do not.

PS its one of your loksound decoders.

Do they work with the DC Blanking plate in? IE Non DCC mode. Or have they never worked either on DCC or DC.

If never then get hold of Howes of Oxford for new lights, IF they have them. Other option is say using a Express Models DCC Lighting Kit, this will add extra lighting function too your loco!  PPS We sell them!!!!!!!!! too.

• RMweb Gold

Decoder fitted and working fine, I only have a 1m set up track operational at the moment (the layout is having some major scenics carried out) so fine tuning etc will be undertaken on our club layout next week. Once taken apart the rear lights were working but were not properly positioned so were difficult to see, I have left them out for now.

thanks to all who replied it gave me the confidence to push ahead without fear of blowing the decoder.

Archived