Β 

American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

"Now come on we need his head to turn with the direction of travel..."

Β 

You mean like this?

Β 

Remote Conductor's or Brakeman's view riding cars on my O scale short line.Β  To be fair there's no scale figure hanging on the side of the car, just a camera and servo. But on the other hand you can play his role from anywhere on the planet. Β :)

Β 

Pete

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Did the shuntersΒ have hi-vis in the era you’re doing?

For my 'Soo Line' era, late 70s to late 80s, no. But I'm trying to be a bit more modern for my 'Short Line' era, post-2000-ish, in which case, yes.Β 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress to report from the Portway Terminal RR.

A couple of weeks ago I received the other laser-cut industry building flats from @the black knightΒ - they have been up my shed receiving sporadic attention since then, but today I have tried them out in position.

The 'third spot' for Co-Pack Foods Inc; I have sat it back a bit compared to the other two sheds, ostensibly to allow space for corn syrup unloading equipment in front of it. The main door is offset, as a switch is in front of this shed, which gets blocked when cars are spotted here. There is also a pedestrian door & some office windows - all 'to be finished'.

20211031_191853.jpg.59ae62e68a727834c512083b0c3d934a.jpg

The whole Co-Pack facility is about 5ft 8inch long.

I have also made a start on the warehouse at the transload yard, this will be finished as a rather plain, concrete building. It has a narrow loading dock but numerous doors. It needs a LOT more work yet!!

20211031_191944.jpg.a0744699c516c73e321d94963738fcba.jpg

Β 

20211031_192340.jpg.fa801d716bf1594afbf3bbc5b3df009c.jpgI would have liked it to be quite a tall building, but the slope of the ceiling prevents that. I will make a long awning for it eventually. I have a third, much shorter building flat done as a two-storey office block, to go next to it. This is still up the shed!!

• Like 8

Wow!! Two updates in one day!!Β  :swoon:

Β 

Meanwhile, down at Enderlin, the ties are cut, glued, and painted. A start has also been made on weathering the Depot roof, with thin washes of black acylic, over grey rattle-can primer. I'm not very good at subtle weathering, this is good practise for me!! :blush:

Β 

20211031_192715.jpg.f9358e47ad18c61eb7eb4cd455f98681.jpg

Β 

20211031_192650.jpg.90ceb3253d80a4a021e395c5fd20c65f.jpg

Β 

20211031_192635.jpg.20d72982fdab57912c35323c09360625.jpg

Β 

Edit - the white splotches on the board are from trying to dry out white acrylic a bit, before dry brushing the ties. I do not have a bird problem in the loft!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7

On a roll now... ok it's Giggle Time again. Just 'cos I can, here's my Atlas Plymouths having a waddle up the siding at Portway Center. The 'flange squeal' late in the clip is actually one of the pick-up wipers scraping the back of a wheel on the caboose. I fitted them to power the roof beacon, controlled by a Digitrax decoder. I really should adjust it but I'm not entirely sure which pick-up it is!!

Β 

Going the other way - I prefer this direction as you get to see the train for longer!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Given the part of the forum in which we are, what’s a β€œshunter”?

Did you ever try & join in a conversation where you weren't really sure of the right lingo, but wanted to appear like you knew what everyone else was talking about? ;)Β  I think it's an attempt to show that even S7 modellers are sometimes entitled to sit at the Back of the Class. :yes:Β  :friends:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

As an S7 dabbler, as well as my interests in S, I would say that a willingness to learn and a desire to improve are the essential requirements of working to more accurate standards.

• Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

As an S7 dabbler, as well as my interests in S, I would say that a willingness to learn and a desire to improve are the essential requirements of working to more accurate standards.

Β 

Wow, there's a spooky coincidence.Β  I turned up some Microscale S-scale decals only yesterday and a good supply of P48 wheels, etc.Β  Dabble away!

Jason

• Like 1

The office 'blanks' in position. There's an inside piece with the door & window frames on, to go behind the main piece. It will be very low-relief, only an inch or less deep.

20211104_183533.jpg.1b8eb4780f742df933f694a437c3cdcc.jpg

Β 

This yard area is coming together nicely now.

20211104_184034.jpg.a7d21dab0eeecc1ecec6adbacc9b2c4a.jpg

Β 

....and is a bit of a contrast to the HO layout that used to be there (with some O plonked on as a 'proof of concept' when I was contemplating the change of scale). Apologies for posting this photo again - but it was probably several pages ago!!

000039327003.Jpeg.14d52d2222d4798abd40b1e2d05ead42.jpeg.b1687b44cf02a56b3a7f21df4306e0de.jpeg

• Like 11

I like the corner's development. These building look very good for the scale. Only 1 inch? Great! You don't need more. The effect of big construction is there!

Β 

I like to see the difference with the before and now photos. Obviously, my choice is for the O scale. It looks better for the space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAMO said:

Obviously, my choice is for the O scale. It looks better for the space.

Thanks, Jack, interesting comment, since apart from the HO being a double track main line & the O single line, the track plan is identical in both scales, so I would think the HO looked better with two longer spurs. But maybe I was trying to cram too much in to the scene, with the transload warehouse and a 'bigger' food processors with storage tanks and factory loading dock? Maybe somehow the O Scale has a bit more of an 'open' look? I have to admit one thing I do miss from the HO is having the warehouse I could actually switch cars in & out of.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Thanks, Jack, interesting comment, since apart from the HO being a double track main line & the O single line, the track plan is identical in both scales, so I would think the HO looked better with two longer spurs. But maybe I was trying to cram too much in to the scene, with the transload warehouse and a 'bigger' food processors with storage tanks and factory loading dock? Maybe somehow the O Scale has a bit more of an 'open' look? I have to admit one thing I do miss from the HO is having the warehouse I could actually switch cars in & out of.

While it wouldn’t give you a warehouse to switch cars into and out of, you could still add a warehouse frontage with dummy roll-up door across the end of the spurs if you wanted that visual effect? Β It would be one way to β€˜frame’ the rest of the corner rather than a blank wall? Β Just a thought. Β As you say, best not to overcrowd the scene.

Β 

Is there a track plan of the current layout earlier in the thread? Β (Sorry - don’t have time to read all 29 pages to look just now).Β 

• Like 3

As Keith said, a dummy door in a low-relief warehouse is good.

Β 

I think it's better to see the cars outside. It's easier for the switching and to find the car number.

Β 

I stay tuned to see the scenery progress ;)Β