Easy street

stevedags

I'm looking at using easy street for a new project, just wondering if any one has any views and in particular if anyone knows if the Bec bogies run with any issues on it?

I cant locate that much information or reviews for the easy street system hopefully there is someone here who is has has used it and has some views on the plus and minus sides of it?

Thanks

I've tried it, there's some stuff on it on my blog on here. Nice enough product and if I was starting from scratch I may use it however I decided not to use it for a number of reasons, one being that it meant a change of materials half way through something and I didn't want to re do what I'd already done, another being whilst it is compatible with other wheels rather than P87 I just didn't like the idea of running stuff on their flanges, it's probably just the idea as much as anything else.

I also had a couple of problems with the rail connectors not conducting after I'd laid it, it relies on.3mm n/s wire soldered underneath the rail. It was probably a 'user problem' but I could see me having fun and games with it, I think to be honest if I did decide to use it I'd probably go for a soldered to PCB construction rather than the recommended super glue to the baseboard construction.

The Easy Street track is basically the old PC Models item that when Peter Chatham sold up and David Voice bought the tram range to safeguard the etched seats and the trolley pole and Bow collector kits was quite prepared to frankly ignore such had been the problems of trying to run on the wheel flanges. It's not good for pick up or cleaning and cleaning the bottom of the groove is the opposite of reality when the grot collects down there so appearance is not helped despite the scale dimensions!! David was perfectly happy to licence it to Andy Reichart in the States and no one over here wants to import it commercially. I now own the PC trams range and theoretically should object to Andy selling it over here but good luck to him and anyone who wants to try it. Mark, I'd have some doubts that the etched section  is strong enough to use PCB sleepers with gaps, continuous support maybe needed with the thin section.

• RMweb Gold

Having had the pleasure of meeting both Alan - and David Voice - at a number of model tram exhibitions over the years, I'm pretty sure that Alan knows what he's talking about.

In particular, I'm certain that he's spot on with his comments about technical issues with etched track.

I know that Alan is far better qualified than me to comment on this - but a lot of the model tram layouts I've seen at shows have effectively used modified model railway track.

This has sometimes been Peco Streamline with an "infill" (or other attempts to disguise the track's origins) - and sometimes "standard" rail (often of a small section) soldered to PCB sleepers.

Other systems have been used over the years - some based on small "jigsaw" like ready made sections - while others could probably best be described as "experimental".

However, most model tram layouts that I've seen have, in some way, been based around "model railway" rails - and I think it's safe to assume there are reasons for this.

Regards,

Huw.

Sorry Dutch Master but I have given you the facts of the history. I could ask David for copies of the correspondence with Andy Reichart but why should you need to see them?  What the current supplier says in his marketing so it fits his range is what he feels comfortable with, but it doesn't change the history. Personally I use either code 75 flextrack buried as required or code 75 on PCB sleepers. Where I make points etc I use code 75 bull head for both the running rails and check as it i so easy to position everything using 2 or 3 rollergauges. Bullhead curves to tram radius easier than FB. If point building I do it on a sheet of pcb gapping as required afterwards with a sliiting disc on the Dremel. Also I cut flangeways though the frogs afterward with the Dremel just laying rail as I go as is most convenient and gives best flow. with continuous support  and continuous soldering  it is the easiest way to go, you'll bury it anyway the sleepers looking good is supremely irrelevant! And of course If you are live overhead anyway a whole crossover say can be one electrical unit!

Alan Kirkman

• 1 month later...

elec-ave-pc-comp-800.jpg

I must respectfully correct the earlier wrong remarks about Electric Avenue being like PC track, and subject to its licence. As you can see from the turnout example parts above, not only is it a complete redesign from scratch, (actually using scaled down prototype blueprints), but the underlying engineering has been professionally altered to make it completely reliable for both code 110 and code 88 RP 25 and equivalent wheels. Even these small images clearly show that the flangeway is more than double the width, so it comfortably guides standard 00 and HO wheels, as their flanges sit over half way down in the slot.

post-491-0-49792600-1343164805_thumb.jpg

Furthermore, as Werner Jurkowski reported in Tramfare, even under intensive exhibition operation at the UK Festival of Model Tramways, the grooves self cleaned, due the the much higher pressure of flange tip weight running vs. normal wheel wide tire running on ordinary rail.

My fully paid up, perpetual, license of the original PC model etches, states that Electric Avenue, being my own design and outright property, is separate from that license, and has no geographical sales or other restrictions whatsoever. Hence the new proto87.co.uk website.

Andy

Interesting Andy. I certainly couldn't tell from you samples we saw over here some years ago how much redesign you had done, but then we didn't have any samples of Peter's old stuff on hand to compare it with at the time.  I shall ask David when next I see him about the terms of the the licence he gave you, certainly when He sold me the PC trams range he stated that your licence was for the USA. But I don't care, do what you like with it and sell it to whoever you can, we are not in anyway interested in making it or stocking it in the UK it is beyond far too many of our so few tramway modellers as to be ecconomically a dead parrot, deceased. 

Alan,

See the July 08 email correspondence below to confirm:-

I'm just happy that there is now an ongoing source of realistic and reliable working tram track, that anyone, anywhere, can use and easily get hold of when they want it. I came across Peter Chatham's original (as PC models) version back in the late 70's when "Tower Trams of Blackpool" were selling it and enthusiastically bought a trial batch on spec. But when I found out how small he had made the PC flangeway, I even called Peter up and suggested he made it wider, to allow it to help a much wider tram modelling audience. But he wasn't to be persuaded.

It was just few years later, after I had gone back to the USA, for my career,  and needed more track, that I discovered Peter had sold his entire product line to David Voice. So that's how David and I got together. And David was very helpful in allowing me come to a fair arrangement, whereby I could design a much more useful "Easy Street", without creating a business conflict.

The name change to "Electric Avenue" was due to Bachmann USA , registering "E-Z" as an unrestricted trademark Pre-fix for any subsequent product name they liked. (Even if they hadn't thought of it at the time). They objected to my Easy Street and Easy Riders on the basis of "confusing US pronunciation" and they had deep pockets, so I didn't see any point in fighting it. After all it's having the design working well and being available to all, that matters to me, not establishing a marketing "brand" to push it just for commercial reasons.

As to "market size", I quite selfishly started making it for my own Los Angeles Pacific Electric Model ambitions, so I wasn't if concerned if only a handful of other modellers took up the offer. But it does seem to be getting steadily rather popular world-wide, and I'm finding myself frequently adding new track formations and features that are needed by others. And there is a lot more to come in the not too distant future..

Hope this makes everything clearer.

Andy

---------------------------

7/2/2008 8:44 PM
I'm very happy with all the below.

Many thanks

Andy

David Voice wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>  
> Below is the arrangement I proposed. The only differences to it that I can think of are:
>  
> 1.  Alan is not selling his kits directly but has arranged with John Whitehouse to sell the items through his shop. Alan will supply odd parts etc to modellers.
>  
> 2.  Alan is very relaxed with the arrangements (he has helped Mark Hughes develop a better bow kit than the PC and Alan is happy to see it take over the PC one) and I do not see any problems coming up.
>  
> 3.  The agreement did not mention items you have developed from the PC originals, such as the track. I suggest we put in that you are free to market all such developments in all countries, thus allowing you to sell in the UK and also use John as a retail outlet.
>  
> If this is all OK with you I will set it in a more readable format and print it out, sign it and send hard copy to you.
>  
> Best wishes,
>  
> David
>  

Andy. As David said  I coudn't care less about what you do but he certainly never told me in detail what he had replied to you, or that you had said that you had altered the product.  As at that stage it wasn't his I am somewhat disappointed but not bothered, we had written it off as irrelevant. Your product stands or falls on its merits/problems. Due to the demand level and infrequency that people make new layouts I just wish you luck but fear that in any financial sense it is a dead duck. Especially given the fact that the far greatest majority of UK Tram modelers have the bulk of their tram fleet running on BRMSB wheels which do not suit the rail and rewheeling a life's collection is unreasonable to expect  Sorry for a note of realistic appraisal.    

Andy. As David said  I coudn't care less about what you do but he certainly never told me in detail what he had replied to you, or that you had said that you had altered the product.  As at that stage it wasn't his I am somewhat disappointed but not bothered, we had written it off as irrelevant. Your product stands or falls on its merits/problems. Due to the demand level and infrequency that people make new layouts I just wish you luck but fear that in any financial sense it is a dead duck. Especially given the fact that the far greatest majority of UK Tram modelers have the bulk of their tram fleet running on BRMSB wheels which do not suit the rail and rewheeling a life's collection is unreasonable to expect  Sorry for a note of realistic appraisal.    

Sounds like we are both happy with where we are then.  Looks like I'll finally have some time to work on my own layout this year. So I'll  post any news and pictures as I make progress. (Under a fresh topic).

I do have a few London E1's I want to motorize and run for nostalgia. I just hope I can fit them under the US layout overhead wire height!

Cheers

Andy

Sounds like we are both happy with where we are then.  Looks like I'll finally have some time to work on my own layout this year. So I'll  post any news and pictures as I make progress. (Under a fresh topic).

I do have a few London E1's I want to motorize and run for nostalgia. I just hope I can fit them under the US layout overhead wire height!

Cheers

Andy

I saw David yesterday at our West Midlands Area TLRS Meeting  he confirmed he hadn't told me as "well we'd really written it off as something we cared about" I couldn't agree more, do your best with it. In the circumstances I have let him of for causing any confusion!

Alan 

Archived