Bass Reflex Speaker in Heljan 33

andybuttterworth1962

Hi All

I have recently fitted bass reflex speakers, and Biff sounds to a Heljan 47 and Hornby 73. I have to say I am extremely pleased with the results - especially the Class 47 - sounds superb!. I used the Bass Reflex speaker, part no xx38 from DC Kits as it is recommended for the Lok V4. I was quite surprised how much better the depth of sound was. 

In my other sound locos I have used the Bass Enhanced speaker, part no xx37 - which I am very pleased with. It is a cosy fit in the tanks of a Heljan 33, but works well. The Bass Reflex is a much bigger item and will not fit.

For ref the reflex is 22mmx58mmx9.3mm, the enhanced being 20mmx40mmx8mm - so quite a bit smaller.

So has anyone fitted a true bass reflex speaker to a Heljan 33, and if so would you recommend it over fitting the bass enhanced?

I would be interested to know what speakers others would recommend in general - assuming most of us would probably fit the biggest we could to improve the sound quality.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy. Fitting a Bass-Reflex into a 33 involves losing half of the PCB, but it can be done.  Bif reccomends the 40x28 AB speaker, also supplied by DC Kits.  I use it in my 27's to good effect -

post-8271-0-22268200-1369479429_thumb.jp

You just need to built a plastic card box to sit it into, and stick the thinned down tank sides onto it. hth, Kev.

Archived