"Crownline Models Palbrick A."

• RMweb Premium

First, Happy New to one and all.

Today I started a "Crownline Models" B.R Palbrick 'A' That I had purchased early this year of a certain well know web site. :imsohappy:

As you can see things where going well in construction, until it came to mount the plastic under frame, which put a spanner in the works, when I checked the under frame to the chassis it did not match up in length . :shout:

Hang that not right I thought, so read the instructions again !!!!!!!!!, it said nothing about shorting the under frame. Had a think and got the scale ruler out (Thank You Expo Tools) it turns out that the the sole pars in the kit are for a 11ft under frame, where's the under frame on the kit is 10ft.  :O

AS I have a spare "Red Pander 10ft underframe kit to use, and I have referred to the "Don Rowland BR wagons the first half million book" and it appears that the aforementioned kit could fit the bill, but I'm looking for conformation or is there an alternative that I could be use. :scratchhead:

I have also checked the "Paul Bartlett" web site and could only find images of a "Palbrick B" :imsohappy:

Images attached to illustrate problem.       

post-6815-0-33984600-1388424931.jpg

Thank you for your help in advance.

Terry

The underframe moulding shown there comes from a Coopercraft GW cattle truck which is wrong in just about every respect in this application. According to Bartlett, Larkin, Mann, Silsbury and Ward's An Illustrated History of BR Wagons, Palbrick As (there's a picture at the bottom of p. 68) had 10' wheelbase and 'RCH' brakes - vac' fitted Morton 4 shoe brakes. The Red Panda chassis, with its 8 shoe clasp brakes are suitable for some Bs and Cs but these had slightly longer bodies.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Palbrick A's were 10' wb, 17'6" over headstocks.

4-shoe vac Morton, oil axleboxes and 1'8" spindle buffers.

I'd go with the Parkside underframe from either the 13t open or the 12t vans (reissued versions) if you can.

The 8 shoe clasp would be okay for the some Palbrick  Bs and all the Cs, though the bodies of those did vary from the A in interior length/width.

Geoff Kent also covered the Palbricks in one of his 4mm Wagon books (Wild Swan)

Geoff Kent also covered the Palbricks in one of his 4mm Wagon books (Wild Swan)

Construction was covered in Volume 1. The wagon illustrated is a Palbrick A. There are also further pictures of his Palbrick As in Volume 3 including a nice colour shot of one on the back cover. 

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm perhaps if you contact the manufacturer they could supply you with the correct component. After all the product is clearly at fault and they should replace the "faulty" component.

Need a time machine for that, Crownline haven't been around for years. Probably the last seller added bits to make a 'complete' kit.

• RMweb Premium

Need a time machine for that, Crownline haven't been around for years. Probably the last seller added bits to make a 'complete' kit.

You beat me to that answer.

For the life of me I can't remember when "Crownline" ceased trading. 

Edited by Trainshed Terry

Best bet with this is a Parkside underframe kit as CloggyDog said. PA09 or PA36 should suffice I think. May need to check the axleboxes though. (Can't remember the type in the kit off the top of my head. )

At a couple of quid a pop they are always useful to have in stock. Which reminds me.

Andy

Edited by SM42

Hmmm well that leaves two options then, scratchbuild an new one or bodge something together from another source.

You missed the other two more obvious ones - sell it on to another unsuspecting ebuyer - or best of all - BIN IT!

(* and I don't mean Buy 1 Now)

• RMweb Premium

Please note that the under frame in the kit is not a R.C.H underframe and is correct for a cattle van.

As mentioned early in this thread.

Ratio do a 10ft under frame kit and have placed a order for 1 or 2 was it. https://railsofsheffield.com/10-wb-wagon-underframe-rch-fitted-560-JJJA14956.aspx

Terry. 

• 4 years later...

I have just come across this thread.  I have an unmade Crownline Palbrick A kit (Crownline Product No. BR101) bought from W&H Models (remember them?) in June 1989 for the princely sum of £7.95... quite a sum as model kits went for 1989!  The box has never been opened till today and I had to peel off the deteriorated selotape to peer inside and hopefully add to this thread.  In addition to the etch, there is a Ratio 12 ft. plastic underframe (Ratio not Coopercraft!), a set of cast white metal (?) buffers, a pair of wire brake hoses, a few fasteners, a strip of modelling wood and some very detailed instructions (5 pages of them!).  So whoever sold you the secondhand kit, Trainshed Terry, did you!  As measured with my calliper, the Ratio sole bar wheelbase exactly matches the wheelbase of the etch but is some 1.5mm shorter than the etch, presumably to accommodate the headstocks either end.

I also have a note stuck on the outside of the box to the effect that the kit was reviewed in the July 1989 issue of Model Railways Magazine, page 358.  So I guess that the kit was first issued by Crownline in June or July 1989 as I usually bought new kits as they were issued on the basis that, in the 1980's and earlier, cottage modelmakers came and went very quickly much like limited editions do now.

Whether I make this kit up or not remains to be seen.  As one of the few early BR goods stock that has not been produced by one of the mass producers of such items, surely its time has come.  Finally I should add that Crownline is not the only company to produce a Palbrick in the past.  Keysers (K's) made a whitemetal kit in the 1960's and early 1970's (and 1950's??) that, for its time, was considered 'very good'.  That kit remained available from leading retailers well into the 1980's.... or at least in their catalogues 'as available'!  And we all know what that means!!  Now did ABS (Adrian Swain) make one too?