Cheap superior quality onboard sound for 7mm

RandyWales

Randy, I have just read through this thread & I love what you are doing. I have been searching for a suitable sound system for my radio controlled loco's & also some DC loco's.

I am completely in love with my radio controlled loco's since switching to non track power on my garden line....but I have to say I have been glancing  enviously at DCC sound since it first came along...to the point where I have even been considering switching yet again to DCC, but the only advantage for me would be sound & I think the return to being reliant on track power would be detrimental for me.

Your brilliant idea could hopefully give me the best of both worlds with on board sound & power.

Could you give this very un-technical person an idea of what would be a suitable app that I could use on my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone as a starting point into the wonderful world of Bluetooth sound?

Hi Phill...

I'd be happy to help...

I don't have an Android phone or Tablet, but I've just realised that my TV box runs the Android OS.

I ran a quick search and found lots of 'Cart Machines' in the Play Store.

I downloaded one called Custom Sound Board and gave it a quick test on my TV :-)

It is quite basic but I loaded some of the sounds that are default on an Android device and found that I could play them in the same way as I do with Soundbyte on my iPad.

I created three buttons and made one of them loopable.

I played the loop and was able to play the other two at the same time.

Putting that into a loco sound context, I envisage it would be simple to play a soundtrack for any particular locomotive and be able to sound a horn or whistle randomly over the top for example.

I have to assume you have the nous to copy sounds from a computer to your device?

I can point you in the direction of some superb sounds but you may also need to download and edit them to make best use of this method of loco sound production.

Finally, you'll need to source a suitable Bluetooth module.

Taking things one step at a time, it may be best if you download the app first and play around with it.

If you can create a button with an associated Android default sound then it should be simple enough to pair a Bluetooth device...

If you can download and copy a suitable soundtrack onto your phone then you'll be able to fully appreciate the possibilities.

Meanwhile, I'll see what other apps are available and give them a trial....

regards

Randall

Hi Randy,

I have downloaded one called Custom SoundBoard by Project Trinity, but there is Custom Soundboard by andro IX & Custom Soundboard Creator by Hipxel........which one did you mean?

Could i ask what search you are putting in Play Store to find them & also what 'Cart Machines' are?....is this an abbreviation? (excuse my ignorance)

I should be OK copying sounds, but where do you source them from? 

One last question if I may?........by 'Bluetooth Module' do you mean the Bluetooth speaker such as the Sainsbury's one you are using?

Hi Randy,

I have downloaded one called Custom SoundBoard by Project Trinity, but there is Custom Soundboard by andro IX & Custom Soundboard Creator by Hipxel........which one did you mean?

Could i ask what search you are putting in Play Store to find them & also what 'Cart Machines' are?....is this an abbreviation? (excuse my ignorance)

I should be OK copying sounds, but where do you source them from? 

One last question if I may?........by 'Bluetooth Module' do you mean the Bluetooth speaker such as the Sainsbury's one you are using?

Hi Phill...

The Project Trinity version is the one I found...it's free and very easy to set up, but also very limited but it should be okay for you to use as for a test to see if Bluetooth sounds are up to your expectations (I think they will be)....

Cart Machine is the generic term for the app....I went into detail about the origins in my Sound for the Masses thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83931-sound-for-the-masses/

The VEHO speaker/module that I bought from Sainsburys is still the best I've found so far....it is small, very cheap and after dismantling from the outer casing the speaker is in it's own enclosure which enhances the sound it produces.

I haven't seen this model in the shops for a while but they are still available cheaply on the web.

I bought a bluetooth speaker/module from Tesco for £6 a few weeks ago (they are still on the shelves)...

I dismantled it for parts and the module itself is small but the speaker is much bigger than the Veho one and doesn't have an internal enclosure.

However, it is cheap enough and ideal for you to buy for a test.

I'll continue this update later...

regards

Randall

Phill...

Rather than repeat myself, this link from Sound for the Masses gives information about obtaining sounds...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83931-sound-for-the-masses/?p=2064287

There are several internet sites that put up sounds under the Creative Commons licence.

Also, it took a lot of (mostly enjoyable) viewing and patience to dig out some of the Youtube sounds.

I can't really be more specific than this in a open forum as the Copyright Police may pounce.

As long as they are for personal use and not used for profit then you should be safe enough.

Maybe some of your own gala footage has suitable sounds....I saw some decent onboard Class 33 and Class 52 footage on your Youtube channel.

I edit sounds into a usable format using Audacity....it looks complicated but there are hundreds of videos on the web showing the basics, which are all you need.

Some of the best tracks I have are onboard recordings several minutes long without much needing much editing....ideal for your garden empire.

I'm kicking myself that I forgot to video my Class 37 at ALSRM Reading at the weekend.

I'll try and make time to make a video at my club...

Randall

Hi Randy. I have been passed a link to this thread by my mate Phill Dyson. I too have a garden railway with radio controlled locos and am looking into fitting sound. I have read through your thread and found it very interesting. This could be the solution that we have been looking for. Although I don't understand some of it I will be following from now on.

Rob

Hi Randy. I have been passed a link to this thread by my mate Phill Dyson. I too have a garden railway with radio controlled locos and am looking into fitting sound. I have read through your thread and found it very interesting. This could be the solution that we have been looking for. Although I don't understand some of it I will be following from now on.

Rob

Thanks Rob...

I've been sliding a lot of info Phill's way by PM...

He should be receiving his VEHO Bluetooth speaker module from eBay any day now so hopefully he'll be able to verify that this is a way forward for you both especially using onboard-recorded soundtracks for continuous run garden layouts and the like.

The changes and variations in sounds that are not possible with soundchips will make you drool.

I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.

Randall

So far I've kept schtum about demonstrating my Bluetooth sounds to an RMweb Galactico at ALSRM Reading last weekend.

Should I be disappointed that my PM has been ignored?

Nah!....makes my resolve more absolute...

Watch this space!

Randall

Hi Randall, I am with you on this, the sound side our hobby should be cheaper by now, but it seems like there is a bit of a cartel on the price of chips and sound files.

I am looking I to doing a theatre style sound for my layout project, similar to the one that Joe showed on his cheaper sound thread, by having the sound chip mounted elsewhere and consisted the loco with a standard DCC chip, with this method there are obvious limitations on how many locos of the same class you an have stored on the layout at any one time, but if you are operating a minimal amount of certain types of loco classes as I will be, it may workout quite well.

I find that when listening to some models they sound to tinny or muffled when they are sound fitted, now I am not trying to dampen peoples enthusiasm here, I am just wondering if the sound experience can be improved by having the speakers mounted above or below the layout, and fool the brain with a better sound quality whilst you are playing g with and watching your loco move ?

Also on Joe's thread there was a link to a blog where I think it was a North American modeller could put his sound through headphones as well, now as many will know who listen to music or radio through a good set of headphones this is another boon, also it isolates the sound to those around us who do not want to listen to the thrash of a 37 or the chuffs of a black 5.

Best regards
Craig

Hi Randall, I am with you on this, the sound side our hobby should be cheaper by now, but it seems like there is a bit of a cartel on the price of chips and sound files.

I am looking I to doing a theatre style sound for my layout project, similar to the one that Joe showed on his cheaper sound thread, by having the sound chip mounted elsewhere and consisted the loco with a standard DCC chip, with this method there are obvious limitations on how many locos of the same class you an have stored on the layout at any one time, but if you are operating a minimal amount of certain types of loco classes as I will be, it may workout quite well.

I find that when listening to some models they sound to tinny or muffled when they are sound fitted, now I am not trying to dampen peoples enthusiasm here, I am just wondering if the sound experience can be improved by having the speakers mounted above or below the layout, and fool the brain with a better sound quality whilst you are playing g with and watching your loco move ?

Also on Joe's thread there was a link to a blog where I think it was a North American modeller could put his sound through headphones as well, now as many will know who listen to music or radio through a good set of headphones this is another boon, also it isolates the sound to those around us who do not want to listen to the thrash of a 37 or the chuffs of a black 5.

Best regards

Craig

I would have thought that operating sound from fixed points would only really work on very small layouts where loco's do not venture far from the fixed speakers?

I am going down the on board Bluetooth speaker route with help & advice from Randy & I have not had any of the tinny sounds sometimes associated with DCC .

• 1 month later...

Hello Randy, is there a model number, ebay link or product name for the Veho?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Doddy...

The Veho link is here:

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=143

Be aware though that this module is probably obsolete.

It is still available on eBay but Phill Dyson had problems with two that he bought....

I think the battery may have failed due to being on a shelf for too long.

However, I will still buy them myself as the speaker is brilliant as a standalone...

It's enclosed even after dismantling the outer casing.

The module would still be okay too....and I have increased the play-time of the one installed in my Heljan Class 37 by replacing the battery.

I have just taken possession of a tiny bluetooth speaker called Smartbox..

I dismantled it and I installed it into a 4mm Heljan Class 47 yesterday....brilliant...

The maximum volume is lower than the Veho, but it's suitable for indoor use.

regards

Randall

post-6897-0-20825100-1469957448_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-37079500-1469957472_thumb.jpeg

Archived