Battery powered Seuthe smoke generator No.22

Harrogate009

I have recently got a Seuthe smoke generator no.22 when on opening I discovered it run on 10-16V.  This would be fine for DCC but as i am still analogue and run my locomotives at a slow speed (around 3-5V Max) I had to find a alternative power source. I have fitted nine 1.2V 160mAh 1/3aaa batteries into the tender by removing the metal weight ans letting the batteries replace the weight to keep it running smoothly (The model is a Hornby Q1).

However I now need to find a small enough plug & socket to fit between the tender and loco. Does anyone have any ideas :scratchhead: ?? 

Many thanks, J.

These are what you need

http://www.micromark.com/mini-connector-kit-pkg-of-10,8839.html

You can try Derek Russan at Eileens emporium http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79392-eileens-emporium-newsletter-december-2013/ which is where I think I got my last lot

If you have a local computer repairer they may be able to help - suitable sockets are used for connecing LEDs in them

If you have no joy you could try here

eBay item number:

EDIT Lots avalaible from HongKong - put micro JST connector into Ebay - never had a problem ordering from there - also they are used in R/C aircraft so that may be another source

Hope it helps

These are what you need

http://www.micromark.com/mini-connector-kit-pkg-of-10,8839.html

You can try Derek Russan at Eileens emporium http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79392-eileens-emporium-newsletter-december-2013/ which is where I think I got my last lot

If you have a local computer repairer they may be able to help - suitable sockets are used for connecing LEDs in them

If you have no joy you could try here

eBay item number:

EDIT Lots avalaible from HongKong - put micro JST connector into Ebay - never had a problem ordering from there - also they are used in R/C aircraft so that may be another source

Hope it helps

Many thanks indeed! Finally found what I was looking for. I originally looked at PCB connectors but these look to be able to do the trick much better.

Thanks again, J.

• 1 year later...

Hello J,

So, come on, aren't you going to tell us how you wired your smoke-generator into an Analogue locomotive?

I'm thinking of adding one to an analogue loco, but all of the info I'm digging up is about DCC, and I'm not wanting to install a DCC chip until I can afford the all-singing-all-dancing version. So, in the interim, I want to do an old fashioned Analogue smoke-generator wiring job.

Either that, or it's a basic £14 Hornby 8 pin DCC chip, and I'm not sure if that's capable of supporting a smoke-generator (and, maybe, the eMotion firebox light module) when I'll be running on an Analogue circuit.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks,

Rick   

• 5 months later...

Basically, with a battery! I bought 9 1.2V 160mAmp cells from somewhere or another, which just fitted in the tender with the weight removed, used a small connector between the tender and the loco and glued the unit in place (With some hacking using a slitting disk). The connector separates and then I've wired another plug to fit onto my controller (As wires from this are separable, as the output on mine uses terminal blocks - you can see in the video) so they can be charged (Although caution - WATCH THE CELLS LIKE A HAWK, to make sure they don't overheat etc). When turning it off, I simply unplug the connector.

Video of it working:

I would advise 1 more 1.2V battery to make 12V, I could only fit 9 as I wanted a low coal load, so only half the tender is actually filled. Maybe more than 1 if it is rated at 16V - I cannot remember if it is or not. EDIT - it is 10 -16V, so more than 1 extra can work.

Jason.

PS - I apologise about the late reply - with exams I only just got it done!

Archived