Great British Railway Journeys 2014.

kevpeo

Just watched the programme, well made and interesting.

Pooles pies !!! - Wigan made, but a bit too "sloppy" for my taste. Most of Wigan's superb local family owned bakeries and pie shops have disappeared over the years, still plenty of pie shops in town, though now nearly all are the big names.

Wigan Pier. Just to get "the facts" (as far as they are known) correct.  The location in the film was correct, Wigan Basin on the Leeds Liverpool canal (not Manchester - Liverpool as stated in the film). The bit of railway line shown is modern, but location is correct. The pier was in fact part of the Winstanley Collieries mineral railway which was built on a wooden bridge approaching the tippler - hence the nickname "pier". The actual date of it's demise is argued, but most likely in the 1920's.

Here is a map of the system in the 1840's, Wigan Pier just below Wigan Basin (shown in the film)

Pem2.jpg

Wigan Pier shown in film (not original rails, though stonework more than likely is the original pier tippler location).

ll480.jpg

Photographs, drawings etc of the real Wigan Pier don't seem to exist, if they do they are as rare as rocking horse poo, I've never seen one. Here is a photo of the coal tippler at Crooke, on the Leeds Liverpool canal a couple of miles away, fed by the Standish railways system. This lasted until around the 50's.

clezad7l.jpg

Now't like this in Wigan now, not since we got electricity and glass in't windows !!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Anyone who fancies following in MPs footsteps after last night's show might like to know that it's about a 12 mile walk from Fenny Stratford to Olney!   Wolverton is a little nearer.

I really don't know why they got off at Fenny.

Still enjoyed the programme though, especially with it being local for me. I had no idea about vellum making in Newport Pagnell.

Ralph

Lambton58

Archived