Dcc point motors?

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone give me some advice please, I'm thinking of going down the line (pardon the pun) of dcc point motors, I'm using peco code 75 points and an I'm about to order a prodigy advance2. I'm guessing these can be powered off the bus wires but do they need additional switches and are they easy to install. Sorry if this topic has been covered and thanks in advance.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't this be in the DCC section?

There are no "DCC Point Motors" so to speak.

The Prodigy Squared will control points but you will need to buy an accessory decoder.

Lots of choices on accessory decoders.

I personally prefer push buttons although I have wired up an accessory decoder( which can use push buttons as well )

You need to choose what type of point motors to use, either slow action such as Tortoise or Cobalt or snap action type such as Peco, Gaugemaster, Hornby etc

From there you can then decide on the accessory decoder.

If you use the search function you will find loads on accessory decoders

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't this be in the DCC section?

There are no "DCC Point Motors" so to speak.

The Prodigy Squared will control points but you will need to buy an accessory decoder.

Lots of choices on accessory decoders.

I personally prefer push buttons although I have wired up an accessory decoder( which can use push buttons as well )

You need to choose what type of point motors to use, either slow action such as Tortoise or Cobalt or snap action type such as Peco, Gaugemaster, Hornby etc

From there you can then decide on the accessory decoder.

If you use the search function you will find loads on accessory decoders

Cheers

Ian

That's great cheers, think I'll be using the slow action, thanks got your help. (Still getting used to this forum and sections!!)

Paul

I prefer not to power my point motors from the DCC bus, rather powering them from a separate transformer to keep things simpler for fault finding. I endeavour to keep the track bus just for the track to ensure my hungry trains get all the power they need.

I also run all my accessories such as lighting from a separate source too - separate from both bus and points - for this I utilise a Gaugemaster Model D twin controller having 16v AC output and a couple of variable 12v outputs too all in a neat package.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks guys

After much research over the last couple of weeks I've decided to go for the cobalt motors but I'm going to run them, along with signals, lights etc if a separate dc supply. I'll keep the DCC to the trains.

Thanks once again for the replies

Paul

Archived