Wiring for a new layout

00ERmissus

Hello Chaps,

Please could I tap the wealth of expert information on this site and ask for a bit of advice regarding my first attempt at wiring a layout?

It will be DC operation and run end to end (L-shape), appox 20ft in overall length using Peco track and points. I want it to include track return wiring, electric points and to have the facility for station/buildings/street lighting etc.

I've looked at various sites and opinions seem to differ quite alot. Essentially, can I use the same gauge wiring for all elements of the layout or should I be using different ones for each function and if so what? Some say 14/0.2mm will be fine, others 32/0.2mm - very confusing and I want to make sure it's right from the outset.

It will be a single track branch line with a terminus and sidings at one end and a small fiddle yard (3/4 roads) at the other.

Anything you can offer would be much appreciated and I can get started!

We really need a track plan.

Do you want CAB control (ie more than one operator)?

Some idea of any specific sectioning (eg do you want more than one loco on the same stretch of track at the same time ... loco arrives at terminus and pilot removes coaches ...)?

Do you want to cut corners and do minimal wiring ... or bullet proof?

Are there board joins to negotiate?

What point motors?

Walk-about or completely static control panel?

What type of FY?

As to wire I would use standard 5A lighting wire for the main bus and run standard layout wire (I can never remember the code for it) for all the droppers etc

DC wiring is actually very simple - there are some very basic rules, which if followed you cannot go wrong.

Hi and thanks Kenton for your reply and advice so far.

Not bothered about CAB control. I'll try and upload a track plan though, that would be great if you could cast your eyes over it for me. Would require two loco's operating on the main track, basically for the reason you've stated and separate operation for sidings area for one loco.

As far as minimal or bullet-proof wiring is concerned, again without seeing the plan, you probably can't determine this but as I'm a novice, the easier the project is for me, the better!

There will be two board joins to negotiate and as far as point motors are concerned - haven't crossed (no pun) that one yet but again your recommendations would be welcome. I'll be using a static control panel. The FY will essentially be 3, possibly4 sidings connected by points. If it's 3 I'd probably use a triple turnout.

I look forward to the plan - I'm around these parts most days but if not someone else is bound to make a suggestion.

Just to check, I assume you have discarded the idea of DCC for a reason? With 3 locos potentially active you are possibly bordering on DCC having some advantages. As it is a new layout the decision can make a difference - even though at a later date a bullet proof DC wiring circuit is simple to convert.

I have not written off the possibility of DCC but as with everything, it basically comes down to cost. I already have another DC layout (built for me) and quite a number of loco's that I'd need to convert although realistically, only a few would be required or suitable for the new branch line, so perhaps that's overstating the case a bit. That being said, I haven't looked seriously into the detail of the digital aspect and am not even sure what would be involved other than chipping loco's and of course a different system of control. Beyond that, I'm in the dark! As you've probably already guessed, electrics/electronics is not my forte but I feel I want to gain more of an understanding of it because it goes with the territory and it would give me more enjoyment with the hobby too. Is DCC really that much easier?

I really appreciate your input on this aspect, must get a scanned copy of the plane uploaded!

Is DCC really that much easier?

I'm afraid there lies a heated debate. ;)

I only asked, because these days it seems the way some like to proceed. My own personal feet are fairly entrenched in DC - but that is not to say I ignore its potential. I just think its cons outweigh the pros for my size and type of layouts. I wouldn't wish you to be influenced down the DC route and then change half-way. DC DOES involve more wires but it is simpler to understand (or at least I think so)

As I indicated a good DC wired layout is simplicity to convert - however, as I keep being told it is not as elegant as a layout wired for DCC from the start.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid there lies a heated debate. wink.gif

I only asked, because these days it seems the way some like to proceed. My own personal feet are fairly entrenched in DC - but that is not to say I ignore its potential. I just think its cons outweigh the pros for my size and type of layouts. I wouldn't wish you to be influenced down the DC route and then change half-way. DC DOES involve more wires but it is simpler to understand (or at least I think so)

As I indicated a good DC wired layout is simplicity to convert - however, as I keep being told it is not as elegant as a layout wired for DCC from the start.

That is a nice, balanced point of view, as free of bias as any I have seen.

A layout wired for DC is simple to convert. You just close all switches & plug in your DCC 'troller. If you don't like it, you can just go back.

I've just converted to DCC but, as Kenton mentions, that's another issue entirely. DCC has its cons. It is more demanding of good wiring for a start.

• RMweb Gold

You state that you are not interested in cab control but if you have more than one loco on the track you need to direct the power to whichever one you want to move. If you want to move two at once you need to controllers and some means of directing the power from each controller to the appropriate loco. This is what cab control is about.

Incidently this is also what DCC is about. Instead of using section switches to do the isolating and directing of power you use some fancy electronics to tell the locos what to do. Each loco respond only to commands intend for it. It has the advantage that you don't need to worry about which section switches to throw and also where to place the sections but it can produce its own problems and is less forgiving of shorts, dirty track, poor wiring. Either system can be used to provide a very satisfying system.

Regarding the wiring with DC the wire should only be carrying the current for one loco hence the smaller wire is ok. With DCC it could be carrying the current for two or more locos hence the heavier wire is recommended. These days I suggest finer wire for droppers ( easier to hide) then you can connect to heavier wire under the layout if you asre using DCC.

If you are a beginer I suggest looking at a suitable track plan. Cyril Freezer's plans in the PECO books always used to show where he would put in track feeds. Wire each of these through a two way double pole changeover switch and you connect the controller to one side the track to the common. You have simple DC control and can add a second controller when you want. If you post a plan I will happily produce a wiring diagram for you. Specify the points you will use.

Donw

Archived