Class 319 questions

sub39h

Hi guys,

I have 2  Bratchell Class 319/1s in NSE livery. I had three questions about them:

1. what colour were the opaque toilet windows? 

2. is the underframe of the Class 325 the same as a 319? I ask because the instructions for the underframe from Bratchell isn't massively clear and I've found a very detailed diagram and photos on one of the 325 threads on here and also because one of the contributors actually has some 325 underframe parts which are better than Bratchells that I was thinking of using instead.

3. would a Bachmann Class 350 pantograph be a suitable approximation to the style of panto originally fitted to them? I was going to use a Hornby Class 92 one but they are hopelessly fragile. 

Thanks! 

For some of the underframe details I downloaded some of the pics from the SEMG site (http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class319_01.html).

I actually found that a few of the Bratchell instructions disagree a bit with what I can see in the photos. However, I have settled on a bit of compromise trying to reconcile the differences with what may have been refurbished units, compared t the Bratchell unit which represents original NSE condition.

Also from the SEMG photos, at least one shot of a Connex unit shows an off-white toilet window but ll others that I can find seem to suggest possibly a frosted glass as also suggested by the Bratchell instruction sheet. I'm not quite sure which way to jump on this subject! .:rolleyes:

i've already glazed one of my cars so that'll be a bit of a pain but never mind. I should have really thought about this before I glazed it!

Thanks for the link to the underframe. I'll probably use a combo of Bratchell's instructions, the 325 diagram and the link you've sent to get something that approximates if I can't find any further details. Would b nice to get it right though

i've already glazed one of my cars so that'll be a bit of a pain but never mind. I should have really thought about this before I glazed it!

Thanks for the link to the underframe. I'll probably use a combo of Bratchell's instructions, the 325 diagram and the link you've sent to get something that approximates if I can't find any further details. Would b nice to get it right though

Where did you source the 325 diagram? there seems a variation in limited prototype images and what bits look like!

be interested if you could share it!

Hi,

If you've already glazed one car then use a piece of 10thou white plasticard behind the toilet window. After rubbing the window on the inside with wet n dry paper. This will produce a frosted effect and the plasticard will enhance it.

Vin

Thanks for that I think its in my thread too!!! I do think they maybe as being built drawings and understand variations happened...as astandard across the fleet.

I Think as good a shape the kits are the undefrloor gubbins suits the first release 321's? Pity really.

My class 319 has run in service for the first time. I will post a video in the near future in my workbench blog. The pantograph is just tacked in place until I can build a better representation of the base and insulators supporting it.

I tried a technique with the toilet window with marginal results - I used some plastic solvent on the inside of the glazing (the same solvent that has glued the entire kit together), followed by Vin's suggestion of a piece of plasticard behind the glazing. The solvent didn't frost the window as much as I expected it to. I may try pulling the plasticard off and smearing some mineral turps on the inside - that always frosts other glazing when I DON'T want it to!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the toilet window had a white plate behind it? 

Any further info on the pantograph? 

Another question if I may: does anyone have the interior layout for a 319/1 so I can purchase the correct bits from DC Kits? 

Thanks again

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Not sure if these are any use to you, but 319365 was stood in Crewe today, looking rather nice in its Northern colours, but in a rubbish place for pics!!

Did get a shot including what I presume is the toilet window. Cropped it for the close-up.

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-22437400-1423587496_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-68751200-1423587502.jpg

Archived