If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Margate Ringfield Motor repairs

bagpipes12

Hi just renovated my 1980's locos fitted with the Margate ringfield motors by replacing the 3 pole with 5 pole armatures.  The performance has improved considerably.  

However, I need a brush plate housing (the plastic plate which clips onto the cast metal magnet housing) with sprung brush plates (not the later screw in type.) 

Does anyone know where I can get one please - I have tried ebay, Peters spares but no luck

Get back to me if you can

Thanks

On the plastic cover plate there will be numbers - give us these numbers and hopefully we can direct you.

The cover I am looking at has 2 numbers on it L5410 and L5230.

Which model is it for exactly the cover plates vary according to model and age?

Finally how many tender wheels does the model have? The centre of the plastic cover needs to have a lug for the centre wheel intact (6 wheels)

or not 4 wheels.The cover I am looking at has 2 numbers on it L5410 and L5230 and is for 4 wheels.

I have some sprung covers R317-4070

If you need a 6 wheel cover do not lose the metal/brass axle that pokes through the hole formed by the lug.

You can swap fron sprung to screw ob cover plate types.(type of loco would be very useful)

Give us some more information and am sure we can steer you to a shop or person.

Cheers

Bob Hughes

Hi Bob

The locomotive is BR Class 47 - R075 (bought in the early 80's so it is a Margate produced item)

It is a 6 wheel bogey and I am aware of the detachable stub axles supporting the centre wheels.  

R317-070 is stamped on the plastic cover plate.  I cannot see any other numbers

Hope you can help

Regards

Ian

Okay I think the relevant service sheet is no 105 6 wheel bogies.

I am fairly certain the brush cover you want is as you suggest R317-070.

But 2 Points:-

On the other side of plastic cover plate i.e. other side to brush arms it should say  S9632 check this.

Also what number is your Class 47 ?

It appears things may change depending on the year it was produced.

See below for what it should look like.

post-10048-0-41840100-1389459499_thumb.jpg

Finally check the distance between the plastic lugs on the side away from the brush arms on your original.

The ones I have are 17mm ish (17.3 with calipers). From experience there are two very similar plastic covers but the distance between the lugs is different.

If they are incorrect they won't fit and clip into the motor housing.

I assume you have kept the carbon brushes and spring; I recommend a toothpick to get these back in place.

If we think this is the the correct one (and some don't have the S9632 identifier) then:-

you can get one from Ebay. Just search for Hornby S9632; a  guy desmond something or other sells them.Or PM me and we'll sort out something on the basis of you paying postage to me and a return SAE.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for your details response - the numbers on the front are the same - i.e. R317-070 but I will check the numbers on the back and measure across the plate tomorrow afternoon

Once again - thank you for your detailed response.  

One other thing - I have bought some male spade connectors from Peters Spares but I cannot find a supplier of a crimping tool which will crimp theses small connectors - any ideas where I might be able to source one

Regards

Ian Ashley

Are you talking about fitting to the connectors on the cover plate?

Crimping tools are expensive-I didn't buy one.

I use these suppliers 10 x Female Terminals for 2.8mm Mini - Connectors (290388354688)

post-10048-0-29858700-1389525288.jpg

on ebay. Do compare prices +postage.I cut off the last bit of the connector, cut wire then twirl around cut ends then push in to hold wire, then fold over remaining crimp with pin nosed plers

one at a time like Titan suggested.

Not had any problems.

Cheers

Bob

Dear Bob and Titan

I have the cover plate off now and the numbers - S9632 are NOT present.

R317-070 is cast on the exposed face.

The engine number is 47 421 - I cannot find any other numbers.

The suppressor on my cover plate is clipped around the brush plates - not soldered as in your photograph. Is this a modification you have done yourself.

I have checked the dimensions of the securing lugs on the reverse of the plate. The two measurements are - Short distance (behind the bend point on the brush plate) is just over 17mm and the long distance (at the bottom of the rear of the plate) is 29mm.

I have found a source on ebay for the replacement cover plate which seems to fit the bill. If you have any other sources or you have some you want to get rid of please let me know.

Once again - thanks for your help

Regards

Ian Ashley

Model 47421  is most probably 1978 manufactured and covered by service sheets 94A (loco)and 105 (drive bogie).

So hopefully we have the correct coverplate.

Some capacitors are folded around brush covers others (earlier) are soldered on.

As I said earlier I have a spare R317-070 with or without capacitor contact me by personal message (PM) if interested.

Cheers

Bob Hughes

Hi Bob

Got the replacement cover and some new brushes. These fit perfectly to the locomotive and these, together with the five pole armature I have fitted have improved the performance dramatically. The cover plate I took off had a larger centre hole and a bronze bush in which took the stub axle from the armature. The replacement cover plate does not have this bush and the hole is much smaller. The axle runs in the hole quite freely but is running a high revs on plastic! Is this normal or is the hole simply pilot hole for drilling out to suit the bush?

Can you advise

Also, I will take you up on your offer of your spare plate - how much to you want for it and what is the best way to proceed now?

I intend to replace all the cover plates on my remaining 7 locomotives (all Margate production)

Regards

Ian Ashley

I have sent you a personal message so you can contact me re coverplates.

The coverplate grips the armature axle via a plastic hole.

Sometines with the 5 pole armature and its brass sheath it is too tight so I file a bit with aneedle file just so that it spins freely.

Give it a pinpoint of oil (not too much else the armaturegets oily)

The term stub axle is taken to refer to the single very short axle that is pushed through the cover plate

before pushing cover plate onto motor platre.

The centre wheel then fits on this.

I am uncertain as to why you need to replace your coverplates they should still be re-usable?

I have fitted a lot of my ringfield drives with 5 pole armatures and a Neomagnet. Got mine from Ebay.

The old Hornby Ferrite type tends to lose its strength whereas Neomagnets do not and are stronger.

Big improvement on many of my ringfield drives. Easy to fit.

Cheers

Bob Hughes

Hi Bob

I removed the zero 1 chips and wiring from all my locos when I dug them out of the loft. They had been out of use for some 25 years until grandchildren came along. The process of taking the solder off made a bit of of a mess so it is a tidy up job!!

I take the point about the brass sleeve - and will try your solution tomorrow. Also the magnet is a good idea.

How do I get to see your personal message - have you sent it to me email address - if so, I can't see it.

Regards

Ian

Archived