Marchwiel, Overton etc. Station Building

This model provoked a lot of interest on the Photo thread pages when I used it to show a model based on the Wrexham - Ellesmere line buildings.  As some of you card modellers might not have visited these pages I thought I would show it here also as it was possibnly the first scratch built structure I made when I got back into serious modelling back in the very early 70's.

I needed a station building for my fledgling 'Preesgwyn' OO layout back in '71/72 and found an article in a Model Railway Constructor magazine detailing the various buildings on this line complete with excellent drawings by the late Mike Morton-Lloyd.  To fit the space available I had to remove one set of windows but the remainder of the building is correct.

i hadn't really discovered plasticard at that time and paper, card etc. was readily available (and cheap - or free!) so this was what I used.  Thickish grey card for the shell covered in individual planks made of some thin pink card/paper.  I remember cutting all the planks for a side, end etc. out of one piece all together, starting and ending the cuts within the confines of the sheet.  The base card was PVA glued and the sheets of planks laid on top and adjusted into position.  The roof was strips of slates and the awning valance and ridge tiles were cut out of the pink card with holes etc. made with pointed instruments.  I then saw George Slater at an exhibition and discovered microstrip, plastiglaze etc. which was used for the windows.

The cream paint was leftover from some decorating and the brown was the remains of a tin of undercoat that my neighbour donated.  Both seem to have passed the test of time!

The platform was cut out of a single piece of plywood by a clubmate who worked in a joinery company and faced with Ossett Mouldings plaster castings.  (Note - if anyone remembers Ossett Mouldings they are still going but now doing decorative commercial work and TV and film sets.  I see John who owns the company regularly but he's no longer any interest in modelling railways.)

I reckon that after 40 years it not looking to bad and could even be rescusitated for use again.  Now, where's that plan I drew for Glyn Ceiriog......................

BTW, the matching Goods Shed was built several years later but by this time I was well into plasticard.  Nowadays, I use a mixture of card and plastic as I see fit at the time.

post-807-0-64788400-1389623235_thumb.jpg

Archived